"The beaches are Queenslands best kept secret!" Bowen by lou31
Bowen Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 17 photos
The sleepy little town of Bowen has had a rustle up lately. You could say it has become famous.
The new Nicole Kidman / Hugh Jackman movie 'Australia' is being filmed here in May and June. It has caused quite a stir, with tourists flocking to catch a glimpse of the pair or a bit of the action.
Some of the streets have been transformed, cattle yards built and loads of dirt trucked in to transform parts of the town for the new movie.
I went to Bowen recently and was fortunate enough to get up close and personal with the film set. The filming had stopped for a few days as the set was being pulled down and rebuilt. A group of dedicated locals were busy handing out brochures and giving talks about the movie to the many sightseers. Though not allowed onto the streets we were all gathered on the footpath outside one of the pubs. I managed to get some good photos.
The movie has really put Bowen on the map and will hopefully give this small town some good publicity. Lying half way between Mackay and Townsville it has a population of about 15,000. If you are travelling by car up that way you will most likely just drive straight by it. That is because the highway doesn't actually take you into the town itself but passes right next to it.
Do yourself a favour if you are travelling by. Put your blinker on and check this place out. It has a real outback country feel to the place with wide streets and lots of older style homes ( why they chose Bowen for the movie ) It's small, dry and dusty but that in itself can be fascinating to overseas visitors.
The drawcard is the beaches! They are stunning!
There are eight to choose from, including Horseshoe Bay, Gray's Bay, Rose Bay and Queens Beach. The colour of the water and the views are outstanding!
I have lived in Central Queensland all my life and until recently had never seen them for myself though I had heard a lot about them.
As well as being beautiful, the whole place is relatively untouched by modern commercialism. There are many motels, caravan parks and holiday units of course but everything is so lovely and quiet. A very peaceful, relaxing place to stay.
This tiny little bay is only about 100 metres long with lovely rock formations at either end. The water is magic and the place is so quiet and secluded.
There is a caravan park and units nearby plus a cafe/restaurant.
This photo was taken from Murray Bay and I really think it is a world class view!
Click on the picture to see it better.
- Pros:Quiet, secluded and peaceful...great views, fishing and lots of sunshine.
- Cons:Very hot and dry so bring lots of sunscreen and a good hat!
- In a nutshell:A place to go for a QUIET & RELAXING stay.
I did not actually stay here but I just had to put in a tip for this place as it looked so good. This resort has so... more travel advice
Driving around Bowen it seems that any blank wall or fence is not safe. Throughout the town large interesting murals can... more travel advice
lou31's Related Pages
Bowen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The beaches are Queenslands best kept secret!"
- "Beautiful Bowen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bowen
- Hotels in Bowen
- Transportation in Bowen
- Nightlife in Bowen
- Restaurants in Bowen
- Warnings and Dangers in Bowen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bowen
- 6 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Bowen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bowen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mackay Intro, 64 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Airlie Beach Intro, 26 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pitlochry Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 25 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ireland Intro, 26 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 22 reviews, 29 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 24 reviews, 18 photos
- York Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Wales Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos