"The Highlands of Scotland" Highland by lou31
Highland Travel Guide: 1,650 reviews and 4,061 photos
My trip to the Highlands consisted only of a one day coach tour. Most of these pictures were taken through the bus window but most turned out well I think.
I am more of a ' green fields ' kinda person but I have to say the highlands were an awesome and impressive sight.
Of course I only touched the surface in my one day trip. A week would be better to explore this Scottish wilderness.
It rained off and on but that's what you expect. And the rain gives the place a kind of quality to it. Makes it somewhat more dramatic and mysterious.
The highlands consists of some 527,705 hectares of scenic beauty. It measures 209 kilometres by 190. They contain the highest mountains in Britain and have the lowest density of population. Only something like 8 people per square kilometre or 4% of Scotlands population live there.
Ben Nevis, Britains highest mountain is it's crowning glory and is 4,406 feet high.
They have 4,905 kilometres of coastline, 7,553 kilometres of roads, 625 kilometres of railway and 57 train stations. There are 1,208 ancient monuments within it's boundaries.
I visited in May during spring. The weather was lovely. Apart from some showers the day was fine but my one disapointment was the absence of Heather. Well it was there but not in flower. The dormant growth is what all that dark brown is.
It doesn't flower till August or September.
- Pros:Dramatic beauty, awesome quality and lots of open countryside.
- Cons:It can be a bit wet and you need a car or tour bus to get around.
- In a nutshell:The epitomy of Scotland and a must see.
lou31's Related Pages
Highland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My favorite part of Scotland"
- "A Journey Back Through Time"
- "From Argyll To Sutherland"
- "The Highlands - The true essence of Scotland"
- "On and Mostly Off the Road in the Highlands"
- "Highlands and Islands of Scotland"
- "The highlands - the true scotland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Highland
- Hotels in Highland
- Transportation in Highland
- Nightlife in Highland
- Restaurants in Highland
- Shopping in Highland
- Warnings and Dangers in Highland
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Highland
- 16 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Highland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Highland
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mackay Intro, 64 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Airlie Beach Intro, 26 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pitlochry Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 25 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ireland Intro, 26 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 22 reviews, 29 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 24 reviews, 18 photos
- York Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Wales Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (40)
Top Highland hotels
- Inverness Hotels
- 329 Reviews - 731 Photos
- Fort William Hotels
- 207 Reviews - 372 Photos
- Aviemore Hotels
- 46 Reviews - 77 Photos
- Ullapool Hotels
- 80 Reviews - 279 Photos
- Isle of Skye Hotels
- 441 Reviews - 879 Photos
- Kingussie Hotels
- 17 Hotels
- Strathpeffer Hotels
- 8 Hotels
- Portree Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 19 Photos
- Nairn Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 17 Photos
- Loch Oich Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Ballachulish Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 5 Photos
- Gairloch Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 35 Photos
- Durness Hotels
- 40 Reviews - 108 Photos
- Dingwall Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 15 Photos
- Loch Katrine Hotels
- 19 Reviews - 33 Photos