"I'm a 'Sunshine Girl!'" lou31's Profile
'Gidday' and welcome to my homepage. I have been a member of VT for over eight years now. I stumbled across this site while doing some travel research and well....as they say "The rest is history"
I was born and bred in Mackay which has over the years changed quite a bit. Sometimes for the good and sometimes for the not so good. However having something like 31 beaches on our doorstep and a nice climate to enjoy them with makes for a great lifestyle.
Lots of fishing, swimming, walks along the beach and barbeques.
The sun shines most days and when it rains we love it!
In 2004 I went on a 10 day cruise to the South Pacific and enjoyed the delights of Vanuatu and Noumea.
In 2005 I went to the UK and Ireland for 4 weeks in May.
It was more than a holiday to me really, it seemed more like a 'Pilgrimage'. I went to places I have always wanted to visit but never thought I would. Friends and family were more than a little shocked that I would take off on my own to do such a thing!
I remember being on such a high at Brisbane airport. And this is someone terrified of flying!
My first sight of London was through the window of the plane. I'm sure the young lad beside me told some funny stories to his family that night about this strange Australian lady and her shrieks of delight!
It's difficult for us Aussies to get around. The distance for one is a major hurdle. Add to that the poor exchange rate it makes for a very expensive venture. However being an eternal optimist and suffering form an acute case of 'determination' I managed to achieve my lifelong dream. That is to see the 'Countryside of England and Scotland' and to see the 'Green of Ireland'.
I loved my time there so much I had to go back for a second helping! This return trip was in July/August last year. I spent three and a half weeks trekking all over England and Scotland and had a wonderful time. I met lots of lovely and interesting people and I think I must have caught at least 85 trains and not less than 126 buses!...just kidding! I was starting to feel like a born again Pommie!
I also did a whirlwind trip around Europe on a bus tour which was fantastic!...only problem now is that it has made me want to go back to see more!
Yes I must say..the UK really does it for me...
Maybe it has something to do with all those books I read as a child or maybe it has something to do with my Father being a Scotsman...I don't know...
Green fields...especially ones with black and white cows in them!
Dancing...even on tables...and why not!
Green Frogs...I have a real fear of them!
People who don't look at you during a conversation
Personal confrontations...I have better things to do
Bad grammar...and spelling
Steak...Medium to well done.
Seafood...especially prawns and scallops.
Mangoes...we grow the best right here!
Pizza...there was this great little restaurant in Cortina!...yum!
Favourite singers and cd's...
Soundtrack to 'Dirty Dancing'
Pavarotti!!!!!...he makes my toes curl.
I will listen to almost anything except that 'doof, doof' stuff!
Brown Eyed Girl
Give me one Reason
Favourite Comedy / Commediennes
Some Mothers 'do ave em'
Kath and Kim
James Herriot series
A Fortunate Life
Cold Sassy Tree
'Sara Henderson' Series
De Vinci Code
'Helen Forester' series
This list could go on and on...
Legends of the Fall
Bridget Jones Diary
Four Weddings and a Funeral
I hope my pages are of some help to others. Isn't that what VT is all about?
I have travelled and seen places through the eyes of a lone traveller. My message to those who hesitant to go it alone or go it at all is...well read my quote...
Life is not a dress rehearsal...live it now!
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 466 Reviews
- 728 Photos
- 6 Countries
- 30 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
- Commented on lou31's profile page
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Choosing a username"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Whitsunday Wonderland Big Aussie Meet 2009"
- created a Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Travel Page "Uluru"
- Wrote a Review Cape Hillsborough in Mackay Things to Do
updated their Profile Page "I'm a 'Sunshine Girl!'"
- lou31 and Geoff_Wright are now friends.
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mackay Intro, 64 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Airlie Beach Intro, 26 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pitlochry Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 25 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ireland Intro, 26 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 22 reviews, 29 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 24 reviews, 18 photos
- York Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Wales Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22488 Reviews - 55061 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7927 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23330 Reviews - 48936 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2029 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3099 Reviews - 5883 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 781 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2059 Reviews - 3877 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22906 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26769 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos