"Kelle Kule (Cele Kula)" Nis by Sirvictor
Nis Travel Guide: 181 reviews and 459 photos
Kelle Kule or as our dear neighbours the Serbs say Cele Kula was builded in 1809 by Ottoman Turkish commander in Chief of the Armies Ahmet Hurshid Pasha. Kelle means in Turkish skull and Kule is tower. For that reason it is better to name in English as " Skull Tower. Ottoman Turks ruled Serbia from 14th century till the Balkan War in 1912. Our dear Serbian citizens revolted the empire often when they were backed by Austrian Habsburgs and Charist Russia. Each time the revolt was pressed by the Ottomans. In 1802 they again revolted. Ahmet Hurshit Pasha the commander of Ottoman Turkish forces at Peleponnes was ordered to press the revolt. He came to Nish and defeated the revolting Serbs. He builded a tower four metres tall and four metres wide out of the skinned heads of the Serbian rebels to give impression to the Serbs not to revolt again. At that time it was the justice of a great power. You may find it brutal but in modern times Nazi Germany and Stalin Russia did more horrifing brutality. Our Serbian Friends must excuse us. Ours is very little againts what the germans did in WW2 in Serbia.
Sirvictor's Related Pages
Nis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "N I Š"
- "Nis - Serbian metropolis on the Balkan trade roads"
- "Home is where the heart is"
- "A Foray into Serbia"
- "GRAD NIS"
- "A peaceful town"
- "Naissus - The Town of Nymphs"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nis
- Hotels in Nis
- Transportation in Nis
- Nightlife in Nis
- Restaurants in Nis
- Shopping in Nis
- Warnings and Dangers in Nis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nis
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Nis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nis
Photos in NisSee All Photos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Alanya Intro, 22 reviews, 152 photos, 11 travelogues
- Ankara Intro, 14 reviews, 114 photos, 11 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 20 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hlavni Mesto Praha Intro, 8 reviews, 58 photos, 6 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 6 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 11 reviews, 47 photos, 8 travelogues
- Wiesbaden Intro, 47 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kemer Intro, 4 reviews, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 15 reviews, 28 photos, 6 travelogues
- Éze Intro, 1 review, 37 photos, 5 travelogues