"Port Arthur Gateway to Freedom" Top 5 Page for this destination Port Arthur by Wisxox
Port Arthur Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 166 photos
Port Arthur was a prison founded in 1828 to deal with the tougher cases from around Australia. A new model system of isolation, and hard labor was instituted here. The prisons were also given training to hopefully re-intigrate them into society after their sentence was done. Have a full day to see the many aspects of Prison life here.
A beautiful double rainbow that we saw while we were touring the prison system
The Female Prisons were in other parts of the island. I tried to leave my wife there but they wouldn't take her.
- Pros:Learn about the Australian prison system
- Cons:Prison is about the only thing to do here.
- In a nutshell:The New Prison of Tasmania
Besides the prison in Port Arthur, there is also some beautifully sculpted coast line to view including this remarkable... more travel advice
Wisxox's Related Pages
Port Arthur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CONVICT SETTLEMENT"
- "Get a sense of the history"
- "More than Just a Jail!"
- "Port Arthur - Convict's Retreat"
- "Port Arthur Gateway to Freedom"
- "Port Arthur"
- "PORT ARTHUR- BE SURPRISED!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Arthur
- Hotels in Port Arthur
- Transportation in Port Arthur
- Restaurants in Port Arthur
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Arthur
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Port Arthur
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Port Arthur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Arthur
Photos in Port ArthurSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Arthur Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- London Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Canaveral Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Bicheno Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Tucumcari Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Athens Intro, 3 photos
- Red Rock Intro, 3 photos
- Gallup Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Shiprock Intro, 2 photos
- Dublin Intro, 1 photo