"The Paradise Called Prague" Prague by vtnyc

Prague Travel Guide: 11,888 reviews and 24,854 photos

Coming to Prague

The first thing I did after checking into my hotel in Prague was take the subway to "downtown" city center. The first thing I had to learn was how to use the subway ticket dispensing machines, and for the first time visitor to Prague without a personal translating guide, that was a doozy. After I watched a few other people press a button, drop a coin, and pull a ticket, I figured out how to do it on my own.

Then I got off at the Mustek station and found myself smack in the middle of tourist bohemia--Wencelas Square. Not only was the monument at the end of the square amazing, but navigating through the hoards of August tourists was a task as well.

Needless to say, I walked around and began to explore this town they call Prague. And now I understand why so many people are enamored of its presence. Prague 1 and 2 are alot like Montmartre in Paris. Cobblestoned streets line nearly every cul-de-sac, medival architecture looms over you in nearly every corner, and spires too numerous to catch on camera enchanct the skyline. Not only was I hypnotized with its stunning beauty, but I was soon to discover even more as you will learn in my further pages.

Going Up the Old Town Bridge Tower

Eventually, I reached Charles Bridge. Not only was the view amazing as you can see in the first picture, but the medieval architecture was equally stunning. As a tourist here, the first thing I noticed were the two tours on opposite ends of the bridge. One of the towers is called the Old Town Bridge Tower and I just had to go through the entrance door to see if I could go to the top.

So I found myself climbing through the small doorway entrance. This was fun as the height on the door frame is actually quite small by modern standards. Interesting how people have grown over the centuries.

Then up a few stairs I found the "toll booth". Cool! I paid the small fee and soon was winding my way through the staircases to the top. And once I reached the top, the view held me breathless for a few minutes.

Next Stop: Old Town Square

After leaving Wencelas Square which in my opinion was overcrowded with tourists, I found myself a few blocks later in Old Town Square.

This was amazing too. The tops of the bulidings were the first thing I noticed. Then I noticed the twin towers of the Tyn Church looming overhead. Wow, behold the late 14th century architecture...ahh Gothic ambiance at its best.

As the next 7 days unfolded, I was soon to discover the beauty that belies Prague. It was an interesting journey, filled with both good and bad experiences, some of which are cataloged here in my pages.

Most of all, I am grateful that Prague has survived Nazi Occupation, Communist Rule, and am grateful for the courage that the Velvet Revolution pioneers exhibited back in 1989.

• Pros:cobblestone streets, medieval history, velvet revolutionaries
  • Cons:food
  • In a nutshell:Prague is a true historical survivor
  • Last visit to Prague: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 24, 2006

vtnyc

“If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive”

Badges & Stats in Prague