"A snap shot of my pages" imaturnip's Profile

Old and new Benxi

Benxi is fast becoming home. My wife and I have an appartment there. We live here in Abu Dhabi for the time being, It is a pretty decent spot.
I am sure there are many among you who have spread their wings further, I tend to go back to old haunts, if I just need to relax, my favourites are thailand and Sri lanka. for a stop over I am quite happy to spend a couple of days in Singapore, I can just sit in Borders coffee shop off Orchard road with a good book, watching the people go by.
Now I will not be travelling again this year so will concentrate on all the good things to see right here. In Abu Dhabi.China will keep me busy later, there is so much to see It will take years.

Abu Dhabi things to do!

Meet the locals! disco, party, camp in the Dessert, swim in the sea. .Restaurants of all prices and qualities. Predoninantly based on Indian pakistani and Middle Eastern cuisines shopping for western style Produce easy enough though expensive. I can Go Back to Benxi buy pork tenderloin $1.50/ Kg or Buy it here at $10/ Kg
Liquor for non muslims only plenty of Bars, Get a Licence ( thats right become a licenced alcoholic!) and you can go to the liquor shop.
and for a country with little tax liquor is a big money maker at higher than western shop prices. A lot of golf, tennis etc here.

National day races Abu Dhabi

National Day in Abu Dhabi is a source of much pride (rightly so) The Government, providing healthcare and education free for all. There is respect for old traditions and sailing races in the old wooden racing boats is still very popular amongst young locals. (good prize money sometimes cars) A day of celebration one activity is the rowing boat race along the corniche (picture above), several kilometers of hard rowing, sorrry the good pictures from days gone by when the 40 + man boats went - dumped in the garbage by ex wife Hey Ho, never mind.

Dubai

Interesting mix of old and new future pages will include Dubai where so much hapens including camel racing soon even formula one racing! This picture is of camels returning to stables from morning excesises in Nad Al Sheba on the Edge if Dubai City.

Dibba & North east

just a taste of the Northern Emirates on the Omani Border, these are the Hajar mountains jutting north to the straights of Hormuz they straddle the Gulf to the east and the indian ocean to the west.

Thailand Koh Chang

OOPS! this is Koh Samet east thailand, would give it a miss Getting a touch trendy, mostly 20 somethings who only see the sun sand and beer. I pefer Koh Chang further East last picture this page

beijing pages to be built soon

in the gardens of the Forbidden city Beijing, if you want to see this in better quality then email me

Some islands more relaxed

Koh Chang has a delightful fishing village at the south end, as well as beaches and diving. Felt I could realy chill out here.

• Intro Updated Dec 19, 2006

Personal Pages (1)

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2006 at 4:47 AM

Hello John, nice to meet you. Nice homepage! Greetings from wacky, hot & foggy Dubai :-) Jess

• Lemoncactus's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2006 at 4:51 AM

I've lived in Benxi for the past 1.5 years. Just about to leave for pastures greener & more southern....amazing how such an ugly city can become home :)

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2004 at 7:04 AM

Hello Ivor. Saw your comment on honestjohn's Beijing page & have to say that even though I enjoyed Beijing gr8ly I totally agree with you. They have 4 years to get their act 2gether in so many ways for o/s tourists for the O' Games in 08.

• Musabah's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2004 at 10:39 PM

Thanks for the comment...but it wan't a capital !! You have a wonderful page.

• Aug 6, 2004 at 3:52 AM

LOLLING HERE.... Youre logon and motto have me PMSL here! OMG! *imagines being desperate 'n' trying to find a clean loo :-O* Nice intro, and welcome - have fun, and meet some gr8 people. Smiles & laughter, Hazel :-)

• Aug 4, 2004 at 9:23 AM

Thanks for sharing your insights.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
imaturnip's Profile Photo

imaturnip

“find me a clean toilet”

Real Name