"Transport hub of the Central Plains - 16-18012005" Top 5 Page for this destination Phitsanulok by XLH
Phitsanulok Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 158 photos
Phitsanulok was our second stop after Lop Buri. We reached it in the evening around 1930hours, after a 5 hour bus ride from the terminal in Lop Buri. We were aware that there were trains and planes arriving here but we thought bus would be another good way to see the countryside.
Our intention here was to set base, visit the Old City of Sukhothai, the first Thai capital tomorrow, and the day after, visit the Sukhothai satellite town of either Kamphaeng Phet or Si Satchanalai. And that same evening, take the night train - for which we have already bought the tickets at Don Muang station - to our northernmost destination of Chiang Mai.
We did visit Sukhothai alright, but unfortunately, couldn't find time for even one of the other satellite towns (see my Sukhothai travelogue). We did, however, explore the other sites of our 'base camp' Phitsanulok, including Wat Chulamani and a Doi Suthep.
In the Central Plains, our every morning seemed to be greeted with a blanket of mist. And sometimes at 2 or 3pm in the afternoon, you can still see traces of it!
This picture was taken from our room at the Pailyn Hotel which, according to one of the food vendors along the street, was supposed to be one of the most luxurious hotels in town. I certainly enjoyed my 2 nights stay here!
It enjoys a fine location as within walking distance (of say 15 minutes), one could visit the 2 more prominent monuments around the area, which is the: Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat; a gold corncob shaped chedi, and the Wat Rajaburana, which CAN be discernable from the picture, IF you know where to look.
Just look at those bags behind her... We would never pass up buying from the 'vendor' that occassionally passes us by, believing that every KG we gained contributed to the Thai economy.
We bought coconut candy, milk tea, bird's nest drink (or rather, some jelly), apple, milk-based 'love letters', sugar cane ( to chew out the juice), jackfruit and munched on them all as we wandered around the streets of Phitsanulok.
- Pros:Ideal Central Plains base to explore ancient city ruins
- Cons:Not much of a choice for accomodation
- In a nutshell:Samll enough to explore in a day.
Well, i thought if you were really interested in visiting Phitsanulok, and if you a map of it, it could help you save a... more travel advice
The food is special only in it's simplicity. Usually pork is fried with noodles, or rice or vermicelli. Yup, one full... more travel advice
XLH's Related Pages
Phitsanulok Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A day in Phitsanulok"
- "A day in Phitsanulok"
- "Transport hub of the Central Plains - 16-18012005"
- "Phitsanulok - Royal capital for just 25 years"
- "Wat Chulamani"
- "Flying fish and Rickshaw races"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Phitsanulok
- Hotels in Phitsanulok
- Transportation in Phitsanulok
- Nightlife in Phitsanulok
- Restaurants in Phitsanulok
- Shopping in Phitsanulok
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Phitsanulok
- 6 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Phitsanulok?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Phitsanulok
Photos in PhitsanulokSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Bangkok Intro, 15 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 12 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Phuket Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ko Samui Intro, 7 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lop Buri Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pulau Tioman Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phitsanulok Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Cambodia Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- San Kamphaeng Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Phitsanulok hotel reviews
- Yodia Heritage Hotel
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2013
- Amarin Nakorn Hotel
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2012
- Andaman Beach Resort
- 150 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Amarin Lagoon Hotel
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- The Grand Riverside Hotel
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Phitsanulok Thani Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 11, 2007
- Pailyn Phitsanulok Hotel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 18, 2013