"Libya" Top 5 Page for this destination Libya by iwys

Libya Travel Guide: 1,094 reviews and 4,147 photos

Libya is the fourth largest country in Africa. It has a long Mediterranean coastline and is bordered by Tunisia and Algeria to the west, Egypt to the east and Niger, Chad and Sudan to the south. Most of the country is desert, but the population, major cities and places of interest are largely concentrated in the narrow coastal strip.

The highlights for most visitors are either the desert, with its sand dunes, oases and rock paintings, or the Ancient Roman and Greek ruins of Leptis Magna, Sabratha, Cyrene and Apollonia. Some less well-known gems are the medinas of Tripoli and Benghazi and the ancient desert town of Ghadames - the Pearl of the Desert.

• Last visit to Libya: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 5, 2007

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2011 at 4:23 AM

woe whats happening!I work with a doctor who was telling me yes go...Libya is safe, made wonderful progess with living standards and technology so go - just let her know when I go as her family and contacts....next day the madness and war broke out...

• yellowbell's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2009 at 4:06 PM

I love the historical perspective on Ghadames and it's nice to know that locals can still enjoy the place along with the tourists! Belated Happy Birthday Ian!! I hope you had a good one.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2009 at 2:03 AM

Hello, Ian! Thanks for your multifacet presentation of that gorgeous destination...><><><><

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2008 at 7:21 AM

must come back to this page - great stuff. i did come back and was impressed allover again. great photos too.

• Nov 7, 2008 at 6:46 AM

Excellent website for Libya! Great information and pictures!

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2008 at 1:41 AM

Beautiful Lybya photo. I have been to Tripoli and Benghazi on business once, unfortunately without camera. That was more than 20 years ago. have a good day.

• Escadora7's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2007 at 1:24 PM

Hi Ian - really nice Libya page and tips. Sounds fascinating. Hope we'll be able to go some day. Best wishes, Ash & Eve

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2007 at 5:34 AM

Libya must be really wonderful, I would love to visit this part of Africa, with so many cultures that we can learn! IT IS A REAL PLACE WHERE WE STEP ON HISTORY!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2007 at 5:33 AM

Istayed at the Dar Ghadames about a week after it opened, the palace was all but empty - those echoing marble halls! I'll be back to read some more. leyle

• Travel2write's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2007 at 3:59 AM

Wow! So many hitorical sites to see. I like reading your posts. John

iwys Visits Here Frequently!

iwys

“I came, I saw and I had a good time”

Badges & Stats in Libya