"Guatemala- Land of Volcanoes & Mayan Temples" Top 5 Page for this destination Guatemala by iwys

Guatemala Travel Guide: 2,981 reviews and 8,534 photos

I travelled around Guatemala, by bus, for ten days, in 2008. I came in over the south-western border from El Salvador and exited over the north-eastern border to Belize. I saw a lot of other travellers here, especially in the lovely town of Antigua, which is where I stayed the longest. I stopped in Guatemala City, but didn't stay there. Antigua was close by and seemed much nicer and more interesting. Other places I visited were Panajachel, Lago de Atitlan, Chichicastenango, Rio Dulce, Livingston and the Mayan sites of Tikal and Quiriguá .

The highlight was definitely Tikal. What an incredible place! For me, it's easily the best of the Mayan sites: better than Palenque, Tulum, Chichen Itza or even my next favourite, Copan Ruinas. It really should be one of the seven new wonders of the world.

• Last visit to Guatemala: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Aug 13, 2008

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Hello, Ian! Guatemala is certainly a very attractive destination. Thanks for your story! ><><

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Nice to see some of the places I just visited here and you have described thgem so well...I have not seen Maximon --- will keep an eye out for him...Excellent Guatemala pages, Norman :)

• jckim's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Chicken bus is great! really wonderful intro pic and thank's Guatemala tips! Take care!

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2008 at 5:34 AM

Hi Ian! Great tips on Guatemala! Takes me back to my trip there last year. I'll get to your Things to Do tips at lunchtime!

iwys

“I came, I saw and I had a good time”

Badges & Stats in Guatemala

Have you been to Guatemala?

Latest Activity in Guatemala