"Nutmeg, Rum, Hurricanes and Ronald Reagan" Top 5 Page for this destination Grenada by iwys
Grenada Travel Guide: 378 reviews and 1,068 photos
Grenada is the southernmost of the Windward Islands. It's just 21 miles long and 12 miles wide. It has green, volcanic mountains, lush, tropical vegetation and fine beaches. People say that, along with St. Lucia, it's one of the two most beautiful islands in the West Indies.
I stayed there for fifteen days and loved the place.
Grenada is known as the Spice Isle. The main spice that it produces is nutmeg. Nutmeg is covered with a rubbery, lace-like skin, known as mace. That's what you can see in this picture. It's used in the manufacture of cosmetics.
The other major product is rum. While you're there you can visit the only rum distillery still using a water mill to crush the sugar cane. You can also drink lots of rum cocktails!
Grenada may seem like a sleepy, peaceful place, where nothing much ever happens, but it's had more than its fair share of troubles, including two devastating hurricanes, the second of which occurred in 2004.
It was also invaded by Ronald Reagan, largely some cynics might say, so that a Hollywood movie could be made about the subject. The movie, called "Heartbreak Ridge," starred Clint Eastwood.
Grenada was one of the venues for the 2007 Cricket World Cup
- In a nutshell:Nutmeg
Several sets of waterfalls flow down through the lush, mountain forests of Grenada. The Concord Falls are at the edge of... more travel advice
Sauteurs is the northernmost town in Grenada. It's a picturesque, fishing town, located near the point where the... more travel advice
iwys' Related Pages
Grenada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IT'S COOL"
- "Nutmeg, Rum, Hurricanes and Ronald Reagan"
- "Henrik's Grenada-page"
- "The spice island"
- "Grenada - The Spice Island"
- "Grenada - In One Day!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grenada
- Hotels in Grenada
- Transportation in Grenada
- Nightlife in Grenada
- Restaurants in Grenada
- Shopping in Grenada
- Warnings and Dangers in Grenada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grenada
- 26 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Grenada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grenada
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos