"Bucharest / Bucureşti" Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest by iwys
Bucharest Travel Guide: 1,656 reviews and 4,345 photos
Bucharest is a mixture of grand buildings and grim tenement blocks. Walk around the northern half of the city and you can start to see why it earned the nickname, "Little Paris"; walk around the south side and you'll be put more in mind of a Little Bronx.
Anway, the central area, where most of the tourist attractions are, is perfectly safe - safer than most big cities, in fact, and it has sights well worth seeing, including some wonderful museums.
The city developed on the banks of the River Dâmboviţa, around the Princely Court of Vlad Ţepeş, from 1459 onwards. There are still some beautiful old buildings, including the eighteenth century Stavropoleos Church and Antim Monastery.
Bucharest doesn't have the medieval charm of Sibiu, Braşov or Sighişoara but it has grand avenues and buildings, like the People's Palace, the second biggest building in the world.
Today Bucharest has a population of more than 2 million and since Romania joined the European Union, it has rapidly caught up with western European cities in terms of both facilities and prices.
There aren't many skyscrapers in Bucharest yet. The few there are tend to be in the new CBD near Piata Victoriei. The... more travel advice
The Kilometre Zero monument marks the spot from which distances from Bucharest to all other cities in Romania are... more travel advice
- See All Tenement blocks
- See All Mazagran Restaurant
- See All High rise
iwys' Related Pages
Bucharest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Thrill, a Challenge, a Laughter"
- "About my homecity - Bucharest"
- "Bucharest, Romania"
- "I learned to love it"
- "Bucharest / Bucureşti"
- "Bucharest - Trapped Between Past And Future"
- "Bucharest-1st stop on a Romania tour"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bucharest
- Hotels in Bucharest
- Transportation in Bucharest
- Nightlife in Bucharest
- Restaurants in Bucharest
- Shopping in Bucharest
- Warnings and Dangers in Bucharest
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bucharest
- 95 Reviews
- 386 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Bucharest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bucharest
Photos in BucharestSee All Photos (386)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos