"Sighişoara: "Dracula's" home town" Top 5 Page for this destination Sighisoara by iwys
Sighisoara Travel Guide: 401 reviews and 1,092 photos
Sighişoara is a small, medieval town in the centre of Transylvania. It was the birth place of Vlad Ţepeş, the historical figure on whom Dracula was based.
But, there is much more to Sighişoara then its Dracula connection. It is also the prettiest town in Romania and little changed since medieval times.
The undoubted highlight is the massive clock tower, from which you can get spectacular views of the town. It is also conveniently right next to the house where Vlad Ţepeş was born.
Sighişoara has a population of just over 30,000 and you can see it comfortably in half a day, but it is definitely worth staying here for at least one night as the town boasts some of the nicest hotels and pensions in Romania and makes a great base from which to explore the surrounding Transylvanian villages, with their fortified Saxon churches.
It is five hours by train from Bucharest so you can't really do it as a day trip from the capital.
You can't blame people for trying to make a living. One woman had a life-sized cardboard cutout of Vlad Tepes and was... more travel advice
The streets of the citadel are little changed since medieval times. Colourful houses still line the original dirt and... more travel advice
iwys' Related Pages
Sighisoara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE MOST BEAUTIFULL TOWN IN ROMANIA"
- "Sigishoara - Medieval pearl of Transylvania"
- "Sighişoara: "Dracula's" home town"
- "Sighisoara - Doesn't need to rely on Dracula"
- "Dracula's True Birthplace"
- "Sighisoara-an UNESCO World Heritage site"
- "Sighisoara - Schaessburg - Segesvar"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sighisoara
- Hotels in Sighisoara
- Transportation in Sighisoara
- Nightlife in Sighisoara
- Restaurants in Sighisoara
- Shopping in Sighisoara
- Warnings and Dangers in Sighisoara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sighisoara
- 28 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Sighisoara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sighisoara
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The Random Nature of Tip..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "The clock in the tower"
- updated a Sighisoara Travel Page "Sighişoara: "Dracula's" home town"
- Wrote a Review Cashing in on the Dracula connection in Sighisoara Local Customs
- Commented on one of igabrielle's Sighisoara travel pages
Photos in SighisoaraSee All Photos (105)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos