"Chişinău" Top 5 Page for this destination Chisinau by iwys
Chisinau Travel Guide: 298 reviews and 667 photos
For a European capital, Chişinău is somewhat off the beaten path. So, most people don't know much about it. Its history started in 1436 when a monastery was founded here. For several centuries it was part of the Ottoman empire. At the beginning of the nineteenth century, it was a village with a population of 7,000. It became part of Russia in 1812 and was made capital of the province of Bessarabia.
Because of the tolerant attitude here and good economic conditions, it attracted Jews from the the rest of the Russian empire and by 1900 nearly half of its population was Jewish, making it one of the major Jewish cities in Europe. Sadly, thousands of Jews were massacred here in the Second World War, during the German occupation. The occupation was ended by the Soviet army in 1944 and after the war Chişinău, or Кишинёв as it is known in Russian, became a provincial centre in the Soviet Union. Most of the city's buildings and monuments date from this Soviet period, as 70% of its old buildings had been destroyed in World War II.
In 1991, following the break up of the Soviet Union, Chişinău became the capital of the newly-independent nation of Moldova. Today it has a population of 700,000.
When I was there it was midwinter and the whole city was under a blanket of snow so it looked like something of a winter wonderland. This didn't totally disguise the fact that it has a lot of the grim apartment blocks and ageing factories that you'd expect in a former Soviet bloc city. The city centre, however, with its parks and churches, is surprisingly attractive.
Transfiguration Cathedral - Preobrajenskii in Russian and Schimbarea le Fata in Moldovan - rivals even the Christmas... more travel advice
All Saints Church, also known as the Armenian or Cemetery Church, stands in the middle of the central cemetery. It was... more travel advice
iwys' Related Pages
Chisinau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chisinau - capital of Moldova"
- "My Guide to Chisinau/Kishinev"
- "Chisinau - My Home City!"
- "A city "made of white-stone, washed by green seas""
- "Welcome to Kishinev."
- "Chisinau, highly recommended by Mr_Furious!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chisinau
- Hotels in Chisinau
- Transportation in Chisinau
- Nightlife in Chisinau
- Restaurants in Chisinau
- Shopping in Chisinau
- Warnings and Dangers in Chisinau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chisinau
- 15 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Chisinau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chisinau
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos