"A Magical Place" Prague by iwys
Prague Travel Guide: 11,872 reviews and 24,810 photos
Prague has to be one of the leading contenders for the title of most beautiful city in the world.
I spent one week there, which was long enough to see all of the tourist attractions, but I still want to go back and see them again.
It might be nice to visit in the winter, when the streets are not so crowded with tourists and the city is covered with snow.
This is, after all, where, more than a thousand years ago, Good King Wenceslas looked out on the Feast of Stephen.
"Good King Wenceslas looked out on the Feast of Stephen.
When the snow lay round about, deep and crisp and even.
Brightly shone the moon that night, though the frost was cruel.
When a poor man came in sight, gathering winter fuel.
Hither, page, and stand by me, if you know it, telling.
Yonder peasant, who is he? Where and what his dwelling?
Sire, he lives a good league hence, underneath the mountain.
Right against the forest fence, by St. Agnes' fountain." John Neale(1857).
Good King Wenceslas, later to become Saint Wenceslas - he was that good - is buried at St. Vitus's Cathedral, in the castle that he looked out from, and you can visit his tomb there, in the Chapel of St. Wenceslas. He died on September 20, 929 and is the patron saint of the Czech people. The Feast of Stephen is celebrated on December 26.
The most famous Prague resident in recent times was the great writer, Franz Kafka. If you have read his novel, "The Castle" - one of my all-time favourite books - you can see where he got the inspiration from, and visit the places where he used to live.
"It was late evening when K arrived. The village lay deep in snow. Nothing could be seen of the Castle Hill, it was wrapped in mist and darkness, not a glimmer of light hinted at the presence of the great castle." The opening lines of Franz Kafka's, "The Castle," written in 1922 and first published in 1926.
- Pros:It's beautiful
- Cons:It can get VERY crowded in the summer
Jan Hus was a Protestant reformer, martyr and hero of the Czech people. The statue of him in the Old Town Square was... more travel advice
Storch House, also known as At the Stone Madonna, faces onto the Old Town Square. On the front ot this beautiful,... more travel advice
iwys' Related Pages
Prague Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What a great and romantic place !"
- "The beautiful town of Prague"
- "Praha is amazing!"
- "Peramble Around Prague"
- "WOW! WHAT A WONDERFUL CITY!"
- "prague czech republic"
- "Prague-One of Europe's Best"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prague
- Hotels in Prague
- Transportation in Prague
- Nightlife in Prague
- Restaurants in Prague
- Shopping in Prague
- Warnings and Dangers in Prague
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prague
- 29 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 26 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Prague?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prague
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos