"A Magical Place" Prague by iwys

Prague Travel Guide: 11,872 reviews and 24,810 photos

Prague has to be one of the leading contenders for the title of most beautiful city in the world.

I spent one week there, which was long enough to see all of the tourist attractions, but I still want to go back and see them again.

It might be nice to visit in the winter, when the streets are not so crowded with tourists and the city is covered with snow.

Good King Wenceslas

This is, after all, where, more than a thousand years ago, Good King Wenceslas looked out on the Feast of Stephen.

"Good King Wenceslas looked out on the Feast of Stephen.
When the snow lay round about, deep and crisp and even.
Brightly shone the moon that night, though the frost was cruel.
When a poor man came in sight, gathering winter fuel.

Hither, page, and stand by me, if you know it, telling.
Yonder peasant, who is he? Where and what his dwelling?
Sire, he lives a good league hence, underneath the mountain.
Right against the forest fence, by St. Agnes' fountain." John Neale(1857).

Good King Wenceslas, later to become Saint Wenceslas - he was that good - is buried at St. Vitus's Cathedral, in the castle that he looked out from, and you can visit his tomb there, in the Chapel of St. Wenceslas. He died on September 20, 929 and is the patron saint of the Czech people. The Feast of Stephen is celebrated on December 26.

The Castle

The most famous Prague resident in recent times was the great writer, Franz Kafka. If you have read his novel, "The Castle" - one of my all-time favourite books - you can see where he got the inspiration from, and visit the places where he used to live.

"It was late evening when K arrived. The village lay deep in snow. Nothing could be seen of the Castle Hill, it was wrapped in mist and darkness, not a glimmer of light hinted at the presence of the great castle." The opening lines of Franz Kafka's, "The Castle," written in 1922 and first published in 1926.

• Pros:It's beautiful
  • Cons:It can get VERY crowded in the summer
  • Last visit to Prague: Aug 2001
  • Intro Updated Dec 15, 2004

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2008 at 4:07 AM

My memories of Prague date back to 1971. I returned in 1991 and 1993. No crowds then, just a beautiful city coming into its own. A Christmas visit was magical. leyle

• sikorka's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2006 at 2:37 PM

Hi Ian, I am going to Prague this October and I'll try to go to Agharta Jezz Center. Thanks for your advice!

• Jan 25, 2006 at 4:51 PM

Beautiful pages, thank you very much. Charles was there when the country was still under the Communist regime, and it will be my first visit in March. Thanks again for the good tips. --Nathalie

• FruitLover's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2005 at 6:51 AM

Excellent page of a BEAUTIFUL city, a symphony in stone! I had 2 days visit there in 1st January [too cold, around zero celsius] and still wonder if it was real or a dream.

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2005 at 1:23 AM

Ian what a wonderful Prague page I am going to go back as I missed a lot although I got to see outside of Prague more rural Czech. Many happy birthday greetings enjoy your day!! Jo

• i-s-a's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2005 at 8:04 PM

Prague is in my top 10 wish list and your page just make me more wishful! ;0) Thanks for sharing your little Prague adventure.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2005 at 3:45 PM

Ian, you've done a magnificent job on your Prague pages. I love all the history; great hotel you stayed in!; terrific restaurant tips; great travelogue of Jewish Prague. Stunning photographs...a star-worthy page indeed.

• 1lar's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2005 at 7:08 PM

I like your Prague Pics, I have plan to go there.You take very nice pics

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2005 at 10:28 AM

I agree - Prague takes the cake (for beauty at least).

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2005 at 4:57 AM

I have to add Prague to my travel list it is so interesting Good page & tips

iwys

“I came, I saw and I had a good time”

Badges & Stats in Prague