"Jeju-do: Island of Love and Oranges" Top 5 Page for this destination Jeju-do by iwys

Jeju-do Travel Guide: 325 reviews and 917 photos

Jeju-do was once listed by Newsweek magazine as one of the world's top ten undiscovered paradises. "do" is the Korean for island, and you will never hear Koreans just say Jeju; they will always say Jeju-do, so best get used to it. Jeju-shi means Jeju city and it is the main city on Jeju-do.

Jeju-do lies 85km south of the Korean mainland, and can be reached by plane or ferry. Jeju-do is actually at the centre of an island group, and the next most important island in the group, and some would say, the most beautiful, is Udo, to the east. Udo, or Cow Island, can be reached by ferry and a visit there is not to be missed.

Jeju-do is 73km long from east to west and 41km from north to south. It is a volcanic island with more than 360 craters and dramatic basalt scenery, including the snow-capped Hallasan, South Korea's highest mountain.

Some describe Jeju-do as Korea's Hawaii and it is also known as the Honeymoon Isle. Such is its legendary status in Korea that if you asked Koreans if they could go anywhere in the world, where would they go, many would choose Jeju-do.

Every Korean feels he should visit Jeju-do at least once in his life and most do for their honeymoon. When I came to Korea, it was the place I most wanted to visit and I am so glad that I did!

Jeju-do is famous for its tangerines and oranges. You can see many orange groves on the southern slopes of Hallasan. When I was there in February, they were all laden with ripe fruit.

• Last visit to Jeju-do: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 8, 2006

• Nov 21, 2008 at 12:52 AM

Jeju-do pics look great. I like Mt Hallasan in winter.

• lohki's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2006 at 8:10 AM

Sadly I do not speak any Korean, but from the looks of your pages... I bet you do! Your travel map really is enviable. ;)

• Bilimari's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2006 at 7:17 AM

I've never heard of Jusangjeolli before. Korean tourist office must to a better job promoting the place to the world... or maybe they want to keep it to themselves. Many places look much like Japan, yet very different.

• thedouglas's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2006 at 3:33 PM

Really looks like Jeju-do is a must- see! The theme park is a true novelty!

• shikokuzen's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2006 at 7:13 PM

Jeju-do for the longest time i have wanted to visit Korea...and Jeju-do is a must!!! wonderful pics and tips

• spitball's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2006 at 2:02 AM

Incredible, and beautiful at the same time.

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2006 at 7:34 AM

AMEN!!! every restaurant on Jeju-do is overpirced

• yellowbell's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2006 at 6:51 PM

Hi Ian, really interesting love theme park. I've only learned about Jeju island because Pinoys get to watch Korean soap operas. I think this Jeju is like Boracay to Phils.

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2006 at 9:55 PM

very interesting tips. great pics too. the Love themepark puts paid to the notion that Asians are conservative. :)

• Feb 12, 2006 at 12:07 PM

Great pictures and so much snow! When I was on Mt Hallasan, we all got sunburned....

iwys

“I came, I saw and I had a good time”

Badges & Stats in Jeju-do

Have you been to Jeju-do?

Latest Activity in Jeju-do