"Durham: famous for seven things" Durham by iwys
Durham Travel Guide: 231 reviews and 559 photos
Durham is a small, historical city, which stands on a sharp, wooded bend in the River Wear. It is dominated by a magnificent cathedral and a castle, the latter of which is now wholly occupied by the university.
There is an old saying that the city of Durham is famous for seven things: Wood, Water, Pleasant Walks, Law, Gospel, Old Maids and Mustard. The wood, water and pleasant walks can all be explained by the forested slopes of the Wear Valley, the law by the university, the gospel by the cathedral and the old maids by the local tradition that an old woman go from house to house on Christmas Day carrying figures of the Virgin and child whilst singing the carol 'God rest ye merry gentlemen'. English mustard was invented in Durham in 1832 by one such old woman called Mrs Clements.
The Castle Keep stands on a high mound or motte. A simple keep was built by the Normans in the 11th century. Later, a... more travel advice
As well as the grand architecture of the Cathedral and Castle, Durham also has a maze of medieval streets winding up and... more travel advice
iwys' Related Pages
Durham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A trip down memory lane for sourbugger"
- "Daytripping to Durham"
- "Durham - great for students"
- "Rachel and Joe's Wedding 24th July 2004"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Durham
- Hotels in Durham
- Transportation in Durham
- Nightlife in Durham
- Restaurants in Durham
- Shopping in Durham
- Warnings and Dangers in Durham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Durham
- 25 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Durham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Durham
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos