"Lincoln: a wonderful old city" Top 5 Page for this destination Lincoln by iwys
Lincoln Travel Guide: 231 reviews and 508 photos
Lincoln was once one of the greatest cities in England and for a long time the highest building in the world was here. Nowadays it is a small, market town, but the grand buildings from its historic past are still there, including a Roman arch, Norman houses, a Medieval castle and one of the most magnificent buildings in all of Britain: Lincoln Cathedral.
The city is often overlooked by foreign tourists because it is not connected to the motorway system, has no direct rail line to London and is nowhere near any major airport. This means those visitors who do make the effort to come here are greeted with far less crowded streets than you would expect in a place with such wonderful historical attractions. It is a bit like York, only without the crowds! This may all change, however, with the release of the film, "The Da Vinci Code", which was partly filmed on location in Lincoln.
The Iron Age settlement of Lindon was established here more than 2000 years ago, in the 1st century BC. The Romans built a fortress here during the reign of Emperor Nero (54-68 AD), and renamed it Lindum Colonia. It became one of the most important towns in Roman Britain, and there are still many Roman ruins visible today, including the northern entrance to the city, Newport Arch.
In 1086, two years after the Norman invasion, William the Conqueror ordered the construction of Lincoln Castle. In Lincoln today you can still see two of the oldest surviving Norman houses in Britain: The Norman House and Jew's House.
In 1092 Lincoln Cathedral was built. Later a spire was added making it the tallest building in the world.
Lincoln Cathedral has one of the finest sets of stained glass windows in the world. more travel advice
The twelfth century font in Lincoln Cathedral was made from Tournai limestone. It is believed that Bishop Alexander... more travel advice
iwys' Related Pages
Lincoln Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lincoln: a wonderful old city"
- "Learning To Live It"
- "It got a hill, a castle and a cathedral"
- "More history than you can shake a stick at........"
- "Medieval Lincoln"
- "A Rich History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lincoln
- Hotels in Lincoln
- Transportation in Lincoln
- Nightlife in Lincoln
- Restaurants in Lincoln
- Shopping in Lincoln
- Warnings and Dangers in Lincoln
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lincoln
- 42 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Lincoln?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lincoln
- updated a Lincoln Travel Page "Lincoln: a wonderful old city"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The Random Nature of Tip..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Leigh-Pemberton House"
- Commented on one of little_liebchen's Lincoln travel pages
- Wrote a Review The cathedral's stained glass windows in Lincoln Favorites
Photos in LincolnSee All Photos (90)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos