"Nottingham" Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham by iwys
Nottingham Travel Guide: 382 reviews and 900 photos
Nottingham is at the centre of England and consequently, in this small island country, is the farthest city from the sea. The River Trent runs through the city and underneath the city's buildings there are extensive networks of sandstone caves.
Most foreign visitors are attracted here by the legend of Robin Hood. Most English visitors are attracted by the city's vibrant nightlife and shops.
Nottingham is a city of record-breakers. It is the fastest growing city in England. It has the highest number of pubs per thousand people of any city in Britain. It also has the highest murder rate.
The Old Market Square is the biggest town square in Europe, Nottingham's Goose Fair is Britain's biggest and oldest travelling fair, Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem is the country's oldest pub, Notts County is the oldest professional football club in the world and Screen Room is the world's smallest cinema.
But, to cap it all, it is the home of the legendary Mat Hand. Who? You may ask. Well, he is currently the holder of no less than four world records! He completed the world's longest table tennis rally, flipped the most beer mats, ate the most peas in three minutes with a cocktail stick and ate the most grapes with a plastic spoon. Yes, he really does hold the official Guinness world records for both grape-eating AND pea-eating. Who knows? If you visit Nottingham, even if you can't meet Robin Hood, you might meet Mat Hand!
The original name of the city was Snotingaham, as this was where, in the seventh century, the Saxon leader Snot and his followers settled. The legend of Robin Hood developed in the medieval period. There is considerable evidence that there was a real Robin Hood - possibly more than one- but untangling fact from fiction still proves difficult. After visiting the various Robin Hood related sites in and around the city, you can make up your mind.
In the seventeeth century, King Charles I raised his standard here to start the English Civil War. In the nineteeenth century, the Nottingham lace industry developed and was responsible for much of the development of the city, especially the famous Lace Market area.
Recently, there was talk of making Nottingham the national sports capital, as it has a central location and some of the best sports facilities in the country. The National Water Sports Centre and the National Ice Centre are both in Nottingham. Nottingham Tennis Centre has hosted many major competitions, including the finals of the Federation Cup. Trent Bridge is one of the most famous international cricket venues in the world. Nottingham Forest Football Club were twice champions of Europe.
%Exchange Arcade, inside the Council House building, has some of Nottingham's most exclusive clothes stores. more travel advice
World Service is Nottingham's most exclusive restaurant. It won the Nottingham Restaurant of the Year award in 2003,... more travel advice
- See All Nottingham Station
- See All The Trent Bridge
- See All Cornerhouse night club
- See All Meadow Lane
- See All The Nottingham Deer
iwys' Related Pages
Nottingham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~ Nottingham ~"
- "CITY THAT NEVER STOPS !"
- "Introducing Nottingham!!! (Home)"
- "I'm getting more and more attached to this city"
- "Just in time for Robin Hood"
- "A thriving University City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nottingham
- Hotels in Nottingham
- Transportation in Nottingham
- Nightlife in Nottingham
- Restaurants in Nottingham
- Shopping in Nottingham
- Warnings and Dangers in Nottingham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nottingham
- 89 Reviews
- 244 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Nottingham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nottingham
Photos in NottinghamSee All Photos (244)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos