"Salisbury" Top 5 Page for this destination Salisbury by iwys

Salisbury Travel Guide: 278 reviews and 626 photos

Salisbury is a pretty, little market town with a population of less than 50,000, but it has one of the grandest and most beautiful cathedrals in Britain, Salisbury Cathedral, which has the tallest spire in the country. As you approach Salisbury that is the first thing you will see, from miles away.

Britain's greatest ancient wonder, Stonehenge, stands on Salisbury Plain, just north of the town.

• Last visit to Salisbury: Mar 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 24, 2007

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Hi Ian, beautiful page - interesting to see where William Golding was headmaster!

• Aug 7, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Went to the Wig and Quill on Sunday - not very impressed. Food was luke warm and very slow to arrive. My son's food (Lasagne) was ice cold. Will not be recommending this pub.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2007 at 1:43 AM

Wouldn't call Stonehenge "off the beathen path"! Excellent page though :)

• Babzz's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2007 at 8:25 AM

Have you visited Avebury? Personally, I enjoyed that henge much more than Stonehenge. Salisbury was one of my favourites too, just sitting on the lawn outside the cathedral. I read "Sarum" so I wanted to visit. :)

• gubbi1's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2007 at 6:02 AM

I think it is a must-see, even though the mystical feeling is hard to get with the big street close by...

• Jun 12, 2006 at 3:05 PM

It's been years since I visited Salisbury, maybe it's time to revisit. Nice page :))

• lou31's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2006 at 3:50 PM

I didn't get to see as much of Salisbury as you. Thanks for sharing. It's a lovely old town. Great tips and pics...

• xuessium's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2006 at 7:18 AM

HI! Ian: On the contrary, I still remember Salisbury fondly. It's just that the trip was too long ago; I rather keep it as a fond memory. (I try my best not to put up junk tips)

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2006 at 5:00 AM

Fascinating...Stonehenge. So who did bring those stones there and pile them up like that?

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2006 at 3:59 PM

Back soon to RRR (read, review,rate) more. UK tips...I miss 'ol Blighty..Tim

iwys

“I came, I saw and I had a good time”

Badges & Stats in Salisbury

Have you been to Salisbury?

Latest Activity in Salisbury