"Essaouira: Hippy Paradise & World Heritage Site" Essaouira by iwys
Essaouira Travel Guide: 508 reviews and 1,433 photos
Essaouira is one of the most laid back places in the world. No wonder that in the late 60s it rivalled Kathmandu as a hippy paradise. It was visited by Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Cat Stevens, Leonard Cohen...you get the picture.
I really love this place and would seriously consider it as one of my Top 10 places in the world, ahead of Marrakech definitely.
The Medina of Essaouira is, as UNESCO describe it,"an exceptional example of an eighteenth century fortified town". It is consequently listed as a World Heritage Site. It is a colourful place, with golden beaches, whitewashed houses and blue fishing boats.
The Phoenecians stopped here as early as the 7th century BC and the Carthaginian navigator, Hanno established a trading post here in the 5th century BC. In 1506 the King of Portugal ordered the building of the first fortress to defend this startegically important harbour.
The city and fortifications we see today, was largely built during the 18th century by Sultan Sidi Mohammed Ben Abdallah, who brought in a French military engineer, Thodore Cornut, to construct a modern fortress, the walls and towers of which are still in perfect condition.
This is the so-called Jimi Hendrix hotel, which is pointed out to all tour groups. Unfortunately, Jimi Hendrix never... more travel advice
Essaoura is a city full of interesting gates and doors. And when you enter, you find that beyond them, there are even... more travel advice
iwys' Related Pages
Essaouira Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A clean city"
- "Essaouira pronounced Essa wera!"
- "Don't ask me if pigs fly in Morocco :-)"
- "Essaouira on the coast"
- "Essaouira Attractions."
- "Essaouira: Hippy Paradise & World Heritage Site"
- "Living the dream"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Essaouira
- Hotels in Essaouira
- Transportation in Essaouira
- Nightlife in Essaouira
- Restaurants in Essaouira
- Shopping in Essaouira
- Warnings and Dangers in Essaouira
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Essaouira
- 26 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Essaouira?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Essaouira
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos