Marrakesh Off The Beaten Path Tips by iwys
Marrakesh Off The Beaten Path: 100 reviews and 210 photos
Souq Sebbaghine or Souk des Teinturiers is the dyers' souk. It is a colourful place where sheets of freshly dyed material hang down all around you. You will probably invited in by one of the shops to watch the dying process, where they might then try to sell you something, like an indigo blu Berber headdress. But, the sales pressure in this little souk is nowhere near as great as in some of the bigger souks surrounding it. You may also be invited to climb up to a roof terrace to get an aerial view of the souk. If you take any photos there though, they will expect a tip.
La Criee Berbere, or Souq Zrabia, is the old slave market. Black African slaves, mostly from Guinea and Sudan, were sold here until the French took over the city in 1912. Slave markets were held at auctions here on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. In the early 1900s prices here ranged from £5 for a small boy up to £150 for a beautiful woman.
Today the market has been taken over by carpet salesmen. There are still auctions here, but they are held by Berbers, who bring their hand-made carpets and kelims in from the surrounding villages.
Babouches are traditional Morrrocan slippers. In this souk you will see thousands of them, in all colours and sizes. The main traditional colour, however, is yellow.
More Reviews (40)
- See All Guest Rooms
- See All views of Djemaa el-Fna
- See All Olives
- They want your money
- CTM and Supra Tours
- See All Cats
iwys' Related Pages
Marrakesh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Winter and Summer in Marrakesh"
- "Magical Marrakech"
- "Marrakech - Incredible but exhausting!"
- "Red City of Marrakech"
- "A “break” in Marrakesh"
- "Magical Marrakesh"
- "Marrakech - the Pink City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marrakesh
- Hotels in Marrakesh
- Transportation in Marrakesh
- Nightlife in Marrakesh
- Restaurants in Marrakesh
- Shopping in Marrakesh
- Warnings and Dangers in Marrakesh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marrakesh
- 43 Reviews
- 139 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Marrakesh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marrakesh
Photos in MarrakeshSee All Photos (139)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (93)
- Djamaa El Fna - Square- 142 Reviews, 283 Photos
- Souks- 54 Reviews, 125 Photos
- Majorelle Gardens- 47 Reviews, 142 Photos
- Medina- 38 Reviews, 83 Photos
- El Bahia Palace- 43 Reviews, 133 Photos
- Saadian Tombs- 41 Reviews, 102 Photos
- Koutoubia Minaret & Koutoubia Gardens- 56 Reviews, 126 Photos
- El Badi Palace- 31 Reviews, 77 Photos
- Ali Ben Youssef Medersa- 39 Reviews, 105 Photos
- Marrakech Museum- 22 Reviews, 56 Photos
See All Marrakesh Things to Do