"Leptis Magna - Home of an Emperor" Leptis Magna by iwys
Leptis Magna Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 223 photos
About 130km east of Tripoli, on the Mediterranean coast, is one of the world's great ancient cities. Founded by the Phoenicians in 1100 BC, it was at its peak from 193 to 211 AD, when one of its citizens, Lucius Septimius Severus, was the Emperor of Rome.
After it was overrun by the Berbers in the 6th century, it was abandoned and eventually covered by drifting sand. This was what helped to preserve it in such good condition until excavations were begun by Italian archaeologists in the 1920s. Still, less than a half of the original city has been excavated.
Today Leptis Magna is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Highlights include a beautiful theatre, an amphitheatre, a circus, a magnificent basilica, a vast forum, a market, Roman baths and triumphal arches, all set against the blue backdrop of the Mediterranean Sea.
The Byzantine Gate is at the north-eastern end of the Cardo Maximus, just before the Old Forum. more travel advice
The Arch of Trajan is one of several triumphal arches on the Cardo Maximus. It was built of limestone between 109 and... more travel advice
iwys' Related Pages
Leptis Magna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Leptis Magna - the showcase of lavish Roman living"
- "Leptis Magna - Home of an Emperor"
- "Leptis Magna"
- "swissgabe's Leptis Magna ..."
- "History in here!"
- "Leptis magna"
- "Roman Remains and Beach"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Leptis Magna
- 17 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Leptis Magna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leptis Magna
Photos in Leptis MagnaSee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos