"Leptis Magna - Home of an Emperor" Leptis Magna by iwys

Leptis Magna Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 223 photos

About 130km east of Tripoli, on the Mediterranean coast, is one of the world's great ancient cities. Founded by the Phoenicians in 1100 BC, it was at its peak from 193 to 211 AD, when one of its citizens, Lucius Septimius Severus, was the Emperor of Rome.

After it was overrun by the Berbers in the 6th century, it was abandoned and eventually covered by drifting sand. This was what helped to preserve it in such good condition until excavations were begun by Italian archaeologists in the 1920s. Still, less than a half of the original city has been excavated.

Today Leptis Magna is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Highlights include a beautiful theatre, an amphitheatre, a circus, a magnificent basilica, a vast forum, a market, Roman baths and triumphal arches, all set against the blue backdrop of the Mediterranean Sea.

• Last visit to Leptis Magna: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 18, 2008

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2009 at 11:18 PM

I see it's a wonderful ancient site! If I were in Lybia, I would pay a visit too...Maybe some day.

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2009 at 7:28 PM

-Ian The architecture is incredible on this page. The ruins of Leptis Magna will remain part of the history. Very interesting. -freddie

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Leptis Magna was already high on my wish list. Once viewing your page, it is even higher. What a wondeful location and your page does it justice!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2007 at 9:12 PM

What an interesting page & great pics ! One day I have to go there myself !

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2007 at 11:42 PM

Nice explanations and clear photos. I want to visit this place!

iwys

“I came, I saw and I had a good time”

Badges & Stats in Leptis Magna

Have you been to Leptis Magna?

Latest Activity in Leptis Magna