"Tripoli - White Bride of the Mediterranean" Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli by iwys
Tripoli Travel Guide: 276 reviews and 881 photos
Tripoli is a pleasant Mediterranean port city. Originally known as Oea, it was founded by the Phoenecians in the 7th century BC. The modern name Tripoli, or Trablous in Arabic, comes from the Greek for "Three Cities". The three cities of Tripolitania were Sabratha in the west, Leptis Magna in the east and Oea in the centre.
Tripoli is faded and sun-baked and, compared to most capital cites, it is fairly quiet and safe. The souks and alleyways of the old city, or Medina, are worth exploring on foot. However, all signs, even for the big hotels and museums, are in Arabic and very few locals know English names, like "Green Square" or "Algeria Square" for any of the main sights. If you don't know any Arabic at all, you will need to do a bit of forward planning in order to find your way around.
Tripoli can be divided into three sections. At the western end of the harbour is the old city or Medina. This was the site of the Roman city, but most of what you see today dates from the Ottoman era. In the centre, extending eastwards from Green Square, is the Italian colonial section of the city, centred on Maidan Al-Jezayir, where the Italians built their cathedral in the 1920s. Finally, at the western end of the harbour is the modern city, with its high-rise office blocks, built in the 20th and 21st centuries.
The Tripolis Restaurant is one of the finest in Tripoli. It has a beautiful location on the first floor of a restored... more travel advice
iwys' Related Pages
Tripoli Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Touching down in Tripoli"
- "Tripoli - White Bride of the Mediterranean"
- "The Lider Maximo and the city"
- "Tripoli - still the white but "booming"bride"
- "omran's new Tripoli Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tripoli
- Hotels in Tripoli
- Transportation in Tripoli
- Nightlife in Tripoli
- Restaurants in Tripoli
- Shopping in Tripoli
- Warnings and Dangers in Tripoli
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tripoli
- 56 Reviews
- 191 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Tripoli?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tripoli
Photos in TripoliSee All Photos (191)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos