"Ancient Antioch" Hatay by iwys
Hatay Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 121 photos
Hatay, also known as Antakya, is the biblical city of Antioch. The city was founded in 300 BC by a general from the army of Alexander the Great, Seleucos Nicator. It soon grew to become one of the most important cities in the Near East and a great centre of commerce, science and religion.
By 150 BC it was one of the largest cities in the world, with a population of more than half a million. It is here that St. Peter, St. Paul and St. Barnabas founded the Christian religion. It also has the oldest mosque in Turkey and an archaeological museum with one of the finest collections of Byzantine mosaics in the world.
Antiochia Pub is a small bar. The clientele here are all local men, but it is a friendly place and the beer is quite... more travel advice
iwys' Related Pages
Hatay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ancient Antioch"
- "also known as ANTAKYA ..."
- "Turkish City with Syrian flavour"
- "The Birthplace of Christianity?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hatay
- Hotels in Hatay
- Transportation in Hatay
- Nightlife in Hatay
- Restaurants in Hatay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hatay
- 11 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Hatay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hatay
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos