"Ancient Antioch" Hatay by iwys

Hatay Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 121 photos

Hatay, also known as Antakya, is the biblical city of Antioch. The city was founded in 300 BC by a general from the army of Alexander the Great, Seleucos Nicator. It soon grew to become one of the most important cities in the Near East and a great centre of commerce, science and religion.

By 150 BC it was one of the largest cities in the world, with a population of more than half a million. It is here that St. Peter, St. Paul and St. Barnabas founded the Christian religion. It also has the oldest mosque in Turkey and an archaeological museum with one of the finest collections of Byzantine mosaics in the world.

Set in the Orontes valley and flanked by rugged mountains, Hatay has a dramatic setting which has been featured in films, including "Ben Hur" and "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade".

• Last visit to Hatay: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated May 25, 2007

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2010 at 7:50 PM

The Boatman of Hell carving is fascinating. I would have never know about it if it was not for your VT page. Excellent. That is what so great about VT. I get to see things I will never see in my life time!

• wroclawiak's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Thnaks for the infos. A really great help before my visit to Hatay.

iwys

“I came, I saw and I had a good time”

Badges & Stats in Hatay