"Apamea" Top 5 Page for this destination Apamea by iwys
Apamea Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 320 photos
Apamea is one of the great ancient cities of the Middle East. It was founded in the 3rd century BC by a former general of Alexander the Great, the first Seleucid king, Seleucus I Nicator , who named the city after his Persian wife. In 64 BC it was seized for Rome by Pompey. At its peak, in the 2nd century AD, it had a population of half a million and was visited by Septimus Severus, Emperor Caracalla and Mark Anthony and Cleopatra, who would have been entertained by performances on the biggest stone theatre stage ever built.
It is located on the fertile Al-Ghab plain and was famous for its horses. The Greek historian, Strabo, estimated that there were 33,000 horses and 500 war elephants here.
In many ways Apamea looks quite similar to Palmyra. The main differences are that whereas Palmyra is made of pink sandstone and stands in the middle of a desert, Apamea is made of grey granite and stands in the middle of rolling grasslands.
If you don't go walk a little off the beaten path, you will miss one of the highlights of Apamea: the stone reliefs of... more travel advice
iwys' Related Pages
Apamea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Apamea - Afamia"
- "Apamea , An abandoned town with glorious history"
- "Apamea - Is it the best or 2nd best ruins in syria"
- "The Wonder of Apamea..."
- "Afamia (Apamea) & Qala'at Mudeeq"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Apamea
- Transportation in Apamea
- Warnings and Dangers in Apamea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Apamea
- 18 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Apamea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Apamea
Photos in ApameaSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos