"Apamea" Top 5 Page for this destination Apamea by iwys

Apamea Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 320 photos

Apamea is one of the great ancient cities of the Middle East. It was founded in the 3rd century BC by a former general of Alexander the Great, the first Seleucid king, Seleucus I Nicator , who named the city after his Persian wife. In 64 BC it was seized for Rome by Pompey. At its peak, in the 2nd century AD, it had a population of half a million and was visited by Septimus Severus, Emperor Caracalla and Mark Anthony and Cleopatra, who would have been entertained by performances on the biggest stone theatre stage ever built.

It is located on the fertile Al-Ghab plain and was famous for its horses. The Greek historian, Strabo, estimated that there were 33,000 horses and 500 war elephants here.

In many ways Apamea looks quite similar to Palmyra. The main differences are that whereas Palmyra is made of pink sandstone and stands in the middle of a desert, Apamea is made of grey granite and stands in the middle of rolling grasslands.

• Last visit to Apamea: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 17, 2007

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Great place to visit! ><><><><

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2009 at 9:30 AM

And did you buy a "really true" Tomb-e find? Apamea's the only place in Syria we were pestered like this. I still love it tho' and I love the $2 sheep I bought there . Oddly enough, the friend who came with us 2 years later has one just the same! leyle

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2008 at 10:25 AM

I returned to Syria and Apamea last month. You have some great pics here.

iwys

“I came, I saw and I had a good time”

Badges & Stats in Apamea