"Damascus" Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus by iwys

Damascus Travel Guide: 820 reviews and 2,205 photos

Damascus disputes with Aleppo the title of being the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world. Here you can find traces of nearly every major episode in the history of the Middle East. You can follow in the footsteps of St. Paul, see the Roman gates to the city, visit the tombs of Saladin and Hussein, wander around eighteenth century courtyards and even see a one-hundred-year-old steam train.

"No recorded event has occurred in the world but Damascus was in existence to receive news of it.....There was always a Damascus" Mark Twain.

From the 6th to 7th centuries Damascus was the most important city in the Middle East, being the capital of an Umayyad empire that extended from India to Spain. Today it is the capital of Syria and has a population of 4.5 million.

• Last visit to Damascus: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 3, 2009

• janiebaxter's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2009 at 6:23 AM

Great pages on Damascus - one of my fave cities. Spent ages looking for Richard Burton's old house and finally found it but couldn't go in. Looking forward to having a good look at your other pages. Greetings from Manchester, UK - Cold and rainy in May!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Hello, Ian! Thanks for your description... It's an amazing place to visit...

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Hi Ian! Quite a lot of history in Damascus -- you're so lucky you've been there...hope I'll see those mosques and ruins someday...Norman :) ----lol, I thought the Minbar was a "minibar", hehehe

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2009 at 5:19 AM

Raspberry juice... I think, I'd stay there for the rest of my life :-) Fantastic reading, Ian, and I wasn't aware how much of the religions have their marks in Damascus. I shall visit one day, definitely. And as there is joghurt....

• PierreZA's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2007 at 12:40 PM

Very, very nice page. Good pictures and tips, thank you.

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2007 at 3:12 PM

I think Jericho is a contender for oldest continuously inhabited city in the world, as well. Beautiful photos. I'll be back to see your tips, I'll bet they're fab!!! M

• norain's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2007 at 3:43 AM

Nice Damascus page, love Bakdash too.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2007 at 4:18 AM

grerat page, very detailed info!

• Bilimari's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2006 at 1:00 PM

Is that Umayyad Mosque? Looks like a nice place.

iwys

“I came, I saw and I had a good time”

Badges & Stats in Damascus

Have you been to Damascus?

Latest Activity in Damascus