"Aleppo - the Oldest City in the World" Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo by iwys
Aleppo Travel Guide: 754 reviews and 1,837 photos
Aleppo is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is a wonderful old place and its magnificent citadel is one of the must-see sights of the Middle East. Aleppo, or Halab, was my home from June to September, 2006. The people here some of the friendliest and most polite I've met anywhere in the world.
With a population of more than 3 million, Aleppo is Syria's second city. Its Arabic name, Halab, comes from the word for milk, as it believed that Abraham milked his cow on the hill where the citadel now stands. It has seen great civilisations come and go as it has been ruled successively by, amongst others, the Amorites, Hittites, Assyrians, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs, Mongols, Mamelukes, Ottomans and the French.
It has survived thousands of years and many invasions and disasters. In 1138, one of the four biggest earthquakes in the history of the world killed more than a quarter of a million people here. In 1260 and again in 1400 the city was sacked by the Mongol hordes. As if that was not enough, in 1348 about a third of the population was wiped out by the Black Death.
Highlights for the visitor include ascending the steps to see the biggest Citadel in the world, visiting the Great Mosque, strolling around the souks and khans and eating in the elegant, restored merchants' houses of the Christian quarter of Jdeide.
Aleppo is also a great base for exploring the Byzantine Dead Cities and churches of the surrounding area.
If you are visting Qala'at Samaan from Aleppo, a good restaurant to stop at for lunch is Wahairat Al Burj. It is oudoors... more travel advice
Al-Rafadah is possibly my favourite of the Dead Cities, although Al Bara, with its pyramid tombs, runs it close. Al... more travel advice
iwys' Related Pages
Aleppo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Aleppo is the place to be!!!"
- "Aleppo - حلب"
- "Aleppo - the Oldest City in the World"
- "Syria's second city - unique and wonderful."
- "Aleppine Photos - Dec 2006"
- "Vt-meeting at Touring Club"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aleppo
- Hotels in Aleppo
- Transportation in Aleppo
- Nightlife in Aleppo
- Restaurants in Aleppo
- Shopping in Aleppo
- Warnings and Dangers in Aleppo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aleppo
- 51 Reviews
- 202 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Aleppo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aleppo
Photos in AleppoSee All Photos (202)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos