"Hama: City of Water Wheels" Hamah by iwys
Hamah Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 421 photos
Hama is a pretty city on the River Orontes, famous for its norias or water wheels. It is also a great base from which to explore some of Syria's major attractions, including the Dead Cities, the Roman city of Apamea, the Assassins' castle at Musyaf and the great Crusader castle of Crac des Chevaliers.
As well as its norias, Hama is also famous for the Hama Uprising. It was here that in 1982 the Muslim Brotherhood attempted a fundamentalist Islamic revolution. Three weeks of fierce fighting between the fanatical Brotherhood and the Syrian Army resulted in devastation of Hama's Old City and the deaths of between 10,000 and 25,000 people.
You still get the impression that by Syrian standards, this is a very conservative city.
Azem Place is the former residence of Assad al-Azem, the governor of Hama in the 1740s. It is the forerunner of the... more travel advice
The Ottoman Clock Tower is the main landmark at the centre of modern Hama. It is very useful if you want to find your... more travel advice
iwys' Related Pages
Hamah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hama - Epiphania - Hamath"
- "sing that old song to me"
- "Hamah - a small town on the Orontes River"
- "I Fell Sick in Lovely Hamah..."
- "Landmark of Hama"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hamah
- Hotels in Hamah
- Transportation in Hamah
- Nightlife in Hamah
- Restaurants in Hamah
- Shopping in Hamah
- Warnings and Dangers in Hamah
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Hamah
- 15 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Hamah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hamah
Photos in HamahSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos