"Palmyra - Bride of the Desert" Top 5 Page for this destination Palmyra by iwys
Palmyra Travel Guide: 237 reviews and 767 photos
Before you go to Palmyra, you hear so much about it that you almost become cynical. You start to think, no place can be that great, can it? But, when you wake up to your first Palmyran dawn, all of that cynicism drops away. Yes, it really is that great.
On my first morning there, I woke up at 5am and for the next four hours I had the great ancient city of Palmyra almost to myself. I say almost because to be honest the guides with their camels were waiting, even then. Do they ever sleep? It was, nevertheless, a magical time and everything they say about the early morning pink hues of the ruins is true.
Palmyra has a dramatic setting in the Syrian desert. It grew as a trading centre on the caravan route between Persia and the Mediterranean ports. Originally known as Tadmor, it is mentioned in the Bible. In the 3rd century AD it was a powerful city state ruled by the legendary Queen Zenobia who led a rebellion against the Romans.
The ruins of Palmyra look dusty and arid today, but between the ruins and the new town you can see why the city... more travel advice
iwys' Related Pages
Palmyra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of the Great Cities of the Ancient World"
- "tadmor, please - the city of dates"
- "Palmyra - Bride of the Desert"
- "Palmyra - ÊÏãÑ (Tadmor)"
- "TADMOR - PALMYRA"
- "Palmyra in the desert"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Palmyra
- Hotels in Palmyra
- Transportation in Palmyra
- Nightlife in Palmyra
- Restaurants in Palmyra
- Shopping in Palmyra
- Warnings and Dangers in Palmyra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Palmyra
- 22 Reviews
- 100 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Palmyra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Palmyra
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos