"Byblos: Marlon, Frank and Bridgitte were here" Top 5 Page for this destination Jbail by iwys
Jbail Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 155 photos
Byblos was the first Phoenecian city to be built and is the oldest continuously-inhabited port city in the world. There is evidence that there was a Neolithic settlement here more than 7,000 years ago. Only the inland cities of Damascus and Aleppo are older. Byblos is the Greek word for papyrus, and this was the main port handling the import of papyrus from ancient Egypt.
In the 1960s wealthy jet-setters, like Marlon Brando, Frank Sinatra and Bridgitte Bardot, used to come here in their yachts.
It has a pretty harbour, Bronze Age ruins, a Roman theatre and a Crusader castle. Unfortunately, when I was there, the Israelis had just bombed a nearby oil installation, so there was an ugly oil slick in the harbour and the hulls of all of the boats were covered with black tar.
Apart from the castle, one other building dominates the site of old Byblos. This is the only house left standing from... more travel advice
iwys' Related Pages
Jbail Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Byblos - Jbail"
- "Jbail - ancient Byblos"
- "Byblos: Marlon, Frank and Bridgitte were here"
- "Jbail - Byblos"
- "Byblos (Jbail) A town with old glamour"
- "Jbail in January"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jbail
- Hotels in Jbail
- Transportation in Jbail
- Restaurants in Jbail
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jbail
- 11 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Jbail?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jbail
Photos in JbailSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos