"Sidon" Top 5 Page for this destination Sidon by iwys
Sidon Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 338 photos
Sidon, along with Byblos and Tyre, was one of the three great Phoenecian cities, which controlled trade in the Mediterranean. It is often referrred to in the Bible. According to Genesis 10:15 19, it gets its name from the first-born of Canaan and grandson of Noah and according to 1 Kings 16:13, Jezebel was a princess from Sidon. Elijah performed miracles here and Paul set sail from here for Rome. It was visited by Jesus and Herod the Great.
In 1110 it was conquered by the Crusaders, who built its Sea Castle. They were finally forced out in 1291.
You must walk across the causeway to reach the Sea Castle. It is too narrow for vehicles and I think approaching the... more travel advice
Broken Classical columns from an earlier temple lie scattered around the Sea Castle. They reminded me of the Egyptian... more travel advice
iwys' Related Pages
Sidon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historically calorific..."
- "Sidon صيدا"
- "Saidoon the Phoenician"
- "About Sidon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sidon
- Transportation in Sidon
- Nightlife in Sidon
- Restaurants in Sidon
- Shopping in Sidon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sidon
- 11 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Sidon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sidon
Photos in SidonSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos