"Persepolis" Top 5 Page for this destination Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) by iwys
Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 260 photos
Persepolis was founded by Darius the Great in 518 BC and it was the capital of an ancient Persian empire, which extended all the way across the Middle East, from Pakistan to Egypt.
It remained one of the greatest cities in the world until it was looted and destroyed by Alexander the Great in 331 BC. According to Plutarch, Alexander needed 5,000 camels and 20,000 mules to carry away its treasures.
The ruins of the ancient city remained buried and lost in the mists of time until they were rediscovered in 1620. Even after that, the site was rarely visited.
Professor Ernst Herzfeld's archaeological expedition to the site of the ancient city in 1931 captured the public's imagination, and now Persepolis has become a must-see destination for all travellers going to Iran. It is still a magnificent archaeological site, which more than lived up to my expectations.
Takht-e Jamshid is the Persian name for Persepolis. It is 800km south of Tehran, but only 57km north-east of Shiraz, just off the main road to Isfahan.
I saw this at the British Museum after I visited Persepolis. It was originally part of the facade on Palace G, which was... more travel advice
The oldest relief at Naqsh-e Rostam is severely damaged and dates to 1000 BC. It shows a man with unusual head-gear and... more travel advice
iwys' Related Pages
Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "* TAKHT-E JAMSHID * THE THRONE OF JAMSHID *"
- "takht-e-jamshid ( PersPolis )"
- "The Amazing Persepolis !"
- "bas-reliefs and friezes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)
- Hotels in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)
- Transportation in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)
- Restaurants in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)
- Warnings and Dangers in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)
- 13 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The Random Nature of Tip..."
- Wrote a Review Winged Male Sphinx in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Winged Male Sphinx"
- updated a Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) Travel Page "Persepolis"
- Commented on one of fkompani's Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis) travel pages
Photos in Takht-e Jamshid (Persepolis)See All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos