"San Salvador is OK" Top 5 Page for this destination San Salvador by iwys

San Salvador Travel Guide: 156 reviews and 418 photos

San Salvador is not often visited by tourists, probably because of its reputation for crime, but if you are travelling though Central America, it's worth spending a couple of days here. Apart from two medical aid workers I met at the airport and two American businessmen I saw at the hotel, I didn't see any other foreign visitors during my time here.

San Salvador is a functioning capital city of 1.6 million people, with few obvious tourist attractions. However, it has some nice museums and a few grand buildings and monuments.

I found Salvadoran people friendly and helpful, but perhaps, because there isn't much of a tourist industry, there was none of the hassle that you get from beggars and street vendors in some other Central American cities.

• Pros:Hassle-free
  • Cons:Not many attractions
  • In a nutshell:It's OK.
  • Last visit to San Salvador: May 2008
  • Intro Updated Aug 11, 2008

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Ian, you have visited lots of attractive destinations! Thanks for your description! Great ><><><

• Assenczo's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Some heroes of the war seem to be employed as guards(even gas stations have them), against the other heroes who have decided to stay more entrepreneurial.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2009 at 3:49 AM

useful stuff, best wishes for 2009.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2008 at 6:40 AM

I hope to visit Central America next year and El Salvador is one of the countries I want to see. Thanks for the tips!

iwys

“I came, I saw and I had a good time”

Badges & Stats in San Salvador

Have you been to San Salvador?

Latest Activity in San Salvador