"Hue" Top 5 Page for this destination Hue by iwys
Hue Travel Guide: 621 reviews and 1,726 photos
Hue, formerly known as Thuan Hoa, is the most historically interesting city in Vietnam. From 1802 to 1945 it was the imperial capital. Thirteen successive emperors resided here, the last of whom, Emperor Bao Dai, reigned from 1925 until 1945, when he was forced to abdicate by Ho Chi Minh, who declared Vietnam a republic. The legacy is a number of fine palaces, royal tombs and temples. The vast Citadel is Vietnam's equivalent of the Forbidden City.
In more recent history, Hue played a pivotal role in the Vietnam War, when during the Tet Offensive of 1968, the Vietcong took control of the city and held it for 24 days. In the fierce fighting which ensued, much of the imperial city was destroyed and 10,000 people lost their lives. I was in Hue, 37 years later, in the Tet of 2005.
During Tet, there are various ceremonies in Hue. Special prayers take place at all of the temples and offerings are made at all of the shrines, like those in the pictures. there is also a big firework display in front of the Citadel at midnight.
Hue has a population of 350,000. It stands on the banks of the Perfume River, in the centre of Vietnam, 660km south of Hanoi and 1,080 km north of Saigon. It is one of the wettest cities in Vietnam and is subject to typhoons and flooding in the months of September and October. The best time to visit Hue is between February and April, when the weather is just about perfect.
The Rockpile, in northern Quang Tri Province, is the first stop north of Hue on the DMZ tour. It was a famous listening... more travel advice
Vietnam is not, as some people might imagine, a mosquito-infested country. Far from it. As another traveller said to... more travel advice
- See All A traveller's place
- The rain in Vietnam falls mainly in Hue
- See All Dressing up
- See All Khai Dinh Tomb 2: the Tomb
Written Apr 12, 2005
Tradtional Vietnamese Dancing at Tu Duc
Written Apr 11, 2005
iwys' Related Pages
Hue Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HUE & SURROUNDS ARE INTERESTING!"
- "the capital of the Nguyễn Lords"
- "The Vietnamese Imperial City"
- "Ancient Capital"
- "IMPERIAL HUE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hue
- Hotels in Hue
- Transportation in Hue
- Nightlife in Hue
- Restaurants in Hue
- Shopping in Hue
- Warnings and Dangers in Hue
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hue
- 39 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Hue?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hue
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos