"Gyeongju" Top 5 Page for this destination Kyongju by iwys
Kyongju Travel Guide: 188 reviews and 491 photos
For a thousand years, from 57BC, Gyeongju was the capital of the Silla kingdom and the first capital of a unified Korean peninsula. At its peak, it had a population of more than a million and was one of the biggest cities in the world. Today it is a fairly sleepy town of some 285,000 people, but enlivened, especially in summer, by the 8 million tourists who visit it every year.
Gyeongju has been described as a vast open-air museum and it is dotted with UNESCO World Cultural Heritage sites. There are hundreds of important sites here, including massive burial mounds, which are Korea's equivalent of the pyramids, ancient palaces and temples, as well as the oldest observatory in Eastern Asia.
The easiest way to visit Gyeongju is by train. The line runs from Seoul, via Daejeon and Daegu. Gyeongju station is... more travel advice
Almost every other shop in Gyeongju seems to be selling boxes of Gyeonju ppang (ppang is the Korean for bread). Gyeongju... more travel advice
iwys' Related Pages
Kyongju Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An Ancient City Blossoms"
- "The Ancient Capital of the Silla Kingdom"
- "Home of the Silla Dynasty"
- "Gyeongju (Kyongju) - A Journey through History"
- "Kyongju - Gyeongju"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kyongju
- Hotels in Kyongju
- Transportation in Kyongju
- Restaurants in Kyongju
- Shopping in Kyongju
- Warnings and Dangers in Kyongju
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kyongju
- 16 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Kyongju?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kyongju
Photos in KyongjuSee All Photos (58)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos