"Busan" Top 5 Page for this destination Busan by iwys
Busan Travel Guide: 306 reviews and 758 photos
Busan, with a population of nearly 4 million, is the second biggest city in Korea. It combines the most popular beach in the country with one of the biggest ports in the world. It is a dynamic coastal city, which offers lots of things to see and do, including Korea's largest fish market and an international film festival.
Busan is more cosmopolitan than other Korean cities. Perhaps because it is an international port, this is the only city in the country where you see significant numbers of foreigners on the streets, ranging from Russian sailors to Japanese tourists. There is an international airport, as well as two ferry terminals and a new train station served by the high-speed KTX express.
Busan has seven beaches, the most popular of which are Haeundae beach and Gwangalli beach. They get really crowded in the summer, but in winter are quite peaceful and picturesque. There are also some rugged stretches of coastline, with dramatic cliffs and rocky islets.
The city is in the south-eastern corner of Korea, on the same line of latitude as Algiers and Los Angeles. This, and the fact that it is on the coast, means that it has milder winters than most of the Korean peninsula. It is, however, in the typhoon zone. The worst typhoons seem to strike in September, with the last big ones being Typhoon Nabi in September 2005 and Typhoon Maemi in September 2003.
The people of Busan are famous in Korea for being both passionate and artistic. The fans of the local baseball team, the Lotte Giants are the noisiest baseball fans in the world, and their fanatical support for their team has to be seen to be believed.
In 2002 Busan hosted the Asian Games and was one of the host cities for the World Cup. The city is now bidding to host the 2020 Olympics.
The East Sea off of Busan is full of fish. People are fishing everywhere: in boats or just standing on the seashore,... more travel advice
Busan is a city of bridges. They are big and specatacular. And when I was there, they were building another one. If you... more travel advice
iwys' Related Pages
Busan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My first year abroad"
- "Busan: Korea's Second City"
- "I always love to be at the BEACH!"
- "Weekends in Busan"
- "BUSAN - MARITIME CITY"
- "Celebrating Spring in Busan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Busan
- Hotels in Busan
- Transportation in Busan
- Nightlife in Busan
- Restaurants in Busan
- Shopping in Busan
- Warnings and Dangers in Busan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Busan
- 20 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Busan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Busan
Photos in BusanSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos