"Buyeo: Capital of the Baekje Kingdom" Puyo by iwys
Puyo Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 58 photos
Today Buyeo is a small town with a population of just 95,000, but it was once the capital of the Baekje kingdom, and the site of one of the most famous and tragic events in Korean history.
Buyeo, formerly known as Sabi, took over from Gongju as the capital of the Baekje kingdom in 538 AD and remained the capital until the fall of the kingdom to combined Silla and Chinese forces in 660 AD.
The last stand of the Baekje was a noble and tragic event. The Baekje general, Gyebaek, knowing he faced certain defeat, killed his wife and children before riding out to battle with just 5,000 men to face an enemy army numbering 50,000. The Baekje repelled four attacks before finally being overwhelmed. Rather than fall into the hands of the enemy, 3,000 ladies from the Baekje royal court leapt to their deaths from the cliff top at Nakhwaam - "the rock of falling flowers".
If you were to ask me, after my year living in and travelling around Korea, which off the beaten path tourist destination you should visit, after having seen the better-known destinations, like Seoul and Jeju-do, I would say Buyeo.
On Nakhwaan Cliff, just behind Goransa Temple, there is a crack, from which flows a miraculous spring, called the... more travel advice
Gudeurae Park stands on the south bank of the Baengmagang River. It is the site of the ancient port from which the... more travel advice
iwys' Related Pages
Puyo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Buyeo: Capital of the Baekje Kingdom"
- "Reflection of Baekje Kingdom"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Puyo
- 8 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Puyo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puyo
Photos in PuyoSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 95 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 119 reviews, 295 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 89 reviews, 244 photos
- Malta Intro, 63 reviews, 236 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 51 reviews, 202 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli Intro, 56 reviews, 191 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 46 reviews, 163 photos
- Peru Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 43 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 31 reviews, 125 photos