"My Hometown, USA, Memphis, Tennessee" Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis by Elena_007

Memphis Travel Guide: 706 reviews and 1,598 photos

The Memphis Belle

Here I am inside the world famous Memphis Belle imagining what it would have been like to be a gunner before my time. I never was much into history, but one day I was browsing through the Memphis Travel Forum here on Virtual Tourist and noticed a question about the Memphis Belle. I decided to go and see this piece of Memphis history for myself. My plan was to just take a few photos to upload to VT, but since my visit to the MBMA (Memphis Belle Memorial Association) I became a volunteer myself, working in the gift shop. I never knew that I could be so passionate about an airplane! She stole my heart.

Sadly, after 58 years in Memphis, Tennessee our Memphis Belle was scheduled to be relocated to the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. She had been safe in a hangar near the Naval Base in Millington, Tennessee (just outside of the Memphis city limits) since March of 2003 as the restoration process began which was to take approximately 3 years until completion. All of the efforts to date had been done by unpaid volunteers who have spent countless hours at the restoration facility because their heart is in the Belle. They enjoy teaching others about her history, and lovingly pay great attention to every detail that is involved in the restoration process. These are qualified engineers and technicians that donate their time and expertise to what they consider to be a worthy cause. I admire their dedication to the Memphis Belle and truly feel that it is unfair as they are not allowed to finish the endeavor that they began. There were plans in the works to build a museum in her honor, here, in her namesake city. We had acquired the land and the building layout was also designed.

Since the U.S. Air Force succeeded in relocating her to Dayton, Ohio, I know that many Memphians including myself are broken hearted, and some will never be the same without her. We fought to keep her home and won a few battles, but lost her in the end. I feel privileged to have been a part in her history and she will live on in my heart in Memphis. Thank you all for your efforts and support. It is appreciated more than you could ever imagine. Please visit her official website for more details. The Memphis Belle

Memphis, Tennessee

This is my Dad, and one of the main reasons I am still in Memphis. I have been his caretaker since his triple by-pass heart surgery a few years ago. He is also a diabetic, so someone must make sure he eats properly. He is now 82 years old, and has a heart of gold. He was honorably discharged from the US Army, due to his hearing loss, and fondly remembers the Memphis Belle from his younger days. My brother also lives in town, so he can stop by to check up on him, if I happen to be out of the country.

The tree is called "Lily of the Valley" and is incredibly beautiful in autumn. Many that have passed by, actually stopped at our house just to take a photo of it. Please click on the photo for a better view. The actual scientific name of it is the Oxydendrum arboreum, but it is known commonly as Sourwood or Sorrel Tree as well. For more information about this particular tree and anyone interested in gardening, check out this awesome site. Dave's Garden

If you are interested in Memphis, Tennessee, here is a link to our local newspaper online, with all you would care to know about my hometown, USA.
The Commercial Appeal Newspaper

This is a work in progress, so please check back for updates. Thanks!

Elvis Was A Friend of Mine.

As you can see from the photograph, "Elvis" and I were pretty close. Actually, this Elvis impersonator was performing at my bank! Of all places, for an "Elvis" sighting! As I was friends with the bank manager, she insisted that she take this photo so that I could send it to my friends in the UK, for their amusement.

No, our heads are NOT that big! I don't know what happened with her camera, but my guess is bad lighting inside the bank, that caused that effect on us. He was actually VERY good at his impressions and sounded almost identical to the legendary man himself. Sorry, but I forgot his name, and besides, I never planned on seeing a repeat performance.

I would like to warn any visitors that come to Memphis, that the area around Graceland is not generally considered a "safe haven." I was car-jacked in a company van merely blocks away from Graceland one afternoon. I no longer work for this company, by the way. My advice is to find a hotel on the other side of town, and drive around to see the sites, as the interstates are easily accessible from any point in the city.

While visting Graceland, stay nearby and don't wander off in the neighbo(u)rhood. Stay safe, and enjoy your stay in Memphis. For more about Graceland and the real Elvis Presley, (including rare photos of a live concert in 1977) see my Must See and Local Customs tips below.

• Pros:It is HOME!
  • Cons:Crime rate is nearly at #10 in the nation!
  • In a nutshell:A taste of world famous Southern hospitality.
  • Intro Updated Nov 13, 2005

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Just thinking of you and realizing your birthday is nearing. I hope your live and loves are treating you well!

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2008 at 3:08 AM

I really enjoyed your page -good tips and info

• BarryAir's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2008 at 12:05 PM

So Sorry to hear that Memphis is loseing the Belle. I did actually get to go inside with my daughter once. Barry in Louisiana (disaster area)

• Sep 28, 2007 at 4:23 PM

I've never been to this part of the country, but I'm looking forward to visiting some day.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2007 at 5:12 PM

Great tips on Memphis. I really liked the sunset photos.

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2007 at 11:53 PM

Enjoyed your Memphis page. Very good and complete tips! The things you do to make photo's for VT. Amusing waiting-in-non-parking-area story. Recognisable :-)

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2007 at 7:36 PM

Hi! Great Memphis page. I'm going to have about a day and half there. My friend wants to see Graceland, but is there anything in particular that we just shouldn't miss? Thanks! :)

• I_Love_VT's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2006 at 3:18 PM

Finally I viewed one of your pages. Glad I did! Excellent work.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2006 at 5:53 PM

Well, I made a return trip to your Memphis page...who can resist the king?

• Mandy23's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2006 at 8:53 PM

Great page about your hometown! Thank you :)

Elena_007 Lives Here!

Elena_007

“Smile ... because you can :)”

Badges & Stats in Memphis

Have you been to Memphis?

Latest Activity in Memphis