Fiji Hotel Tips by leebee1

Fiji Hotels: 181 reviews and 229 photos

Sonaisali Island Resort: I recommend whole heartedly...

I absolutely adored Sonaisali Island Resort and plan to definately revisit!!!

We stayed in a beachfront spa bure - the room was enormous!!! The spa wasnt as private as you would imagine, but none the less we spent many evenings enjoying some drinks watching the sun go down in it.

The resort has everything you need. You can schedule as many activities as your heart desires, or simply laze around by the spacious pool.

Food is absolutely gorgeous...I really can't fault the service or ammenities of this resort.

***It is worth noting that this resort consists of a black volcanic sand beach and doesnt have the blue waters one would expect of Fiji***

Unique Qualities: We found everything to be quite outstanding!!!

Comparison: more expensive than average

Directions: will come back with address and futher details...

Price: US$120-180

Theme: Other

Website: http://www.sonaisali.com

• Updated May 7, 2006
Matamanoa Island Resort: Dissapointing!

After getting married at Sonaisali, we were full of anticepation about Matamanoa. We wanted to experience, as everyone had told us, the real Fiji. White sandy beaches, blue water and total relaxation...

I write this review with mixed feelings, it was our honeymoon and I WANTED to love it! But at various times after numerous problems, I actually wanted to leave!!!

I will endevour to write as accurately and honestly as I can about our experiences.

First of all - the good things.

The island is absolutely gorgeous. It really is. I think the best thing about Matamanoa is that the place has "soul". Its hard to describe...

We stayed 5 nights in a beachfront bure. The view from our room was postcard perfect. My husband and I would fight each morning for the hammock :) We found ourselves spending much of our time either there, or snorkeling the reef.

The staff do an arrivals/departures announcement thing each night which is lovely. They sing a beautiful song called "Isa Lei". This song will no doubt be imbedded in our minds forever - its gorgeous.

In the nights it was lovely to sit by the pool and look out to the sea. It was romantic really.
Thats where the good ends.

Our room was disgusting!!!

I am in a terrible habit of checking beds before I get in them. After turning down our bed...oh god, it was just aweful. The sheets were so stained and disgusting I spent the first night ontop of the covers. Great start to the honeymoon huh!!!

Our bar fridge had filthy dirty glasses in them which still had the remainders of previous guests drinks.

And we found our glass sliding door (that backed onto ocean) didnt lock!!!

We spoke to guests next to us that had apparently been visiting for years and they said we didnt need to worry (about security), however coming from Sydney its pretty hard to let some things go.

***Continued next section***

Unique Qualities: It gets worse...upon going to dinner one night we came back to our door open! At this point I was really freaked out because there were labourers everywhere (doing renovations) and who knows who had been in our room. So I sent hubby up to reception to get it sorted.

Next day still nothing had been done, and the same thing happened. We came home from dinner to find our door open. Hubby again confronted reception and we were told it was the turn down maid - except we hadnt recieved a turn down!!!

The day after that hubby confronted the maid and the problem was finally fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We didnt recieve our honeymoon inclusions (wine and fruit platter) until we had asked after them several times.We eventually went and filled in a feedback form and handed it to reception days 2 days before we left in the hopes someone would try and put it right with us. We never heard anything. We have since emailed them upon our return and again, nothing.

I think it was absolutely disgusting that most of our honeymoon was spent trying to fix problems. Our room was disgusting and they werent the slightest bit interested in making our stay more comfortable.

In terms of food I dont think the food was terrible, but it wasnt great either.

There is alot of weed around the island when the tide changes, you'll see staff get out early in the morning rake it up and bury it. That was weird.

I just found the whole experience frustrating and disapointing. Therefore, I cannot recommend this resort.

Comparison: about average

Price: US$120-180

Theme: Hotel

• Updated Jun 8, 2006

Badges & Stats in Fiji

Have you been to Fiji?

Latest Activity in Fiji

Visiting Fiji?
Read real reviews about Fiji Hotels!

Friends