"My Bali experience..." Bali by leebee1
Bali Travel Guide: 6,300 reviews and 15,209 photos
As this was my first overseas trip, I didnt really know what to expect. I asked my travel agent a zillion questions, and thought I had a general idea of what to expect...
I was told everything was super cheap, was told to watch what i ate and where I ate, recieved tips on bargaining, and warned off being ripped off...
Sometimes I'm not sure if asking for all this information is a good thing, or a bad thing. Its great to be cautious and informed, but also, you just have to figure some things out for yourself...and that we certainly did!
I couldnt belive we were warned so much about watching our things, and being led astray etc...but noone prepared us for the airport!!!
I had just taken one piece of our luggage of the conveyor belt, and was ready to grab another, when I noticed a guy taking off with our bags!!! I kinda yelled out to my partner, and off we went to reclaim our bags. Oh my god...what an issue we had. He led us straight to the currency exchange window and said quite simply, money. Even funnier was the fact we only had notes, Aussie notes. (we had no intention of getting a bag carrier!). But he was not giving us our bag, until he had his money.
So I think we ended up paying this guy about $10 to get back what was rightfully ours...
After our shaky start, we decieded to head down Legian Street ( the busy centre of Kuta). We had no idea how to cross the road, as we stood at a kerb for what seemed like forever, with noone stopping. After watching the other tourists we soon got the hang of it...just walk on out, they'll stop!
But that wasnt what bothered us as much. The fact that you had people chasing you down the street asking you to "please come to my shop?", "please buy this, and that". We didnt know what to do. We felt kinda sorry for them, but kinda pissed off too...So we decieded to just get to know our hotel for a couple of days...
After allowing ourselves the time to feel settled, and got to know the area better,and the people better, and felt more confident altogether...We were really taken by the charm of Bali, and the Balinese people. We cant wait to return again, and reminisce of the time when we felt so awkward there...
The quality of photographs on my Bali page arent the best, due to actual print being scanned onto my computer.
- Pros:The people are gorgeous. The weather is fantastic (if you like it hot and humid).
- Cons:Excess luggage :)
- In a nutshell:A perfect destination for a relaxing getaway...
Check out the Uluwatu Cliff Temple. Stunning views. Again, monkeys everywhere...Also check out the surfing spots at... more travel advice
leebee1's Related Pages
Bali Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sharing my experiences Under the Bali Sunshine"
- "Bali, A Travel to Island Of Paradise :"
- "Bali, Indonesia..."
- "Bali - Island Beauty"
- "...stranded between heaven and earth"
- "BALI Of Gods, Goddesses & Demons"
- "Bali - Home of the Gods (& mischievious monkeys)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bali
- Hotels in Bali
- Transportation in Bali
- Nightlife in Bali
- Restaurants in Bali
- Shopping in Bali
- Warnings and Dangers in Bali
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bali
- 24 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Bali?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bali
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wollongong Intro, 58 reviews, 24 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 24 reviews, 15 photos
- Province of Alberta Intro, 20 reviews, 7 photos
- Nowra Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Province of British Columbia Intro, 18 reviews, 5 photos
- Vanuatu Intro, 20 reviews
- Seattle Intro, 13 reviews, 6 photos
- Fiji Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pretty Beach Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Top Bali hotels
- Jimbaran Hotels
- 34 Reviews - 96 Photos
- Kuta Hotels
- 333 Reviews - 724 Photos
- Ubud Hotels
- 520 Reviews - 1297 Photos
- Sanur Hotels
- 105 Reviews - 228 Photos
- Denpasar Hotels
- 42 Reviews - 137 Photos
- Uluwatu Hotels
- 236 Reviews - 641 Photos
- Bali Hotels
- 666 Reviews - 1602 Photos
- Karangasem Hotels
- 39 Reviews - 125 Photos
- Tabanan Hotels
- 34 Reviews - 89 Photos
- Gianyar Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 26 Photos
- Singaraja Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 47 Photos
- Bedugul Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 91 Photos
- Danau Tamblingan Hotels
- 1 Review - 1 Photo
- Klungkung Hotels
- 11 Reviews - 36 Photos
- Pulau Nusadua Hotels
- 35 Reviews - 96 Photos