"Denver: The Mile High City" Top 5 Page for this destination Denver by tejanasueca
Denver Travel Guide: 1,023 reviews and 1,794 photos
I lived in this wonderful city for two years. There are several things that strike you when going to Denver. If you land at Denver International Airport (DIA) you will be surprised to see that most of the land is really flat (not what you might expect going to a city right next to the Rocky Mountains). The second thing you will notice at DIA is how nice the airport is. Both of these first impressions will be rather accurate. While Denver is right next to the Rocky Mountains, the actual city, even though it is situated one mile above sea level, is very flat. The center of the city lays a few miles west of the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, and hence is relatively flat.
The second impression is also rather accurate, as there are a lot of rather affluent people living in Denver. This makes things in the city rather expensive, which is one of the city's two downfalls. The second downfall is the relatively lack of diversity. This is not to say that there is no diversity at all, just that it is less diverse than most major cities in the US.
Overal, however, this is a wonderful city. It has a pretty well developed public transportation system, so it is possible to go around town without a car (a car is needed, however, if you want to make it up the mountains), and due to the expansive spaces to the north, east, and, south, in which the city can grow, the city does not seem very crowded (unless you are driving on Interstate 25). This allows for many cute little neighborhoods, with that small town feel, just minutes from downtown.
- Pros:The layout of the city, public transportation, access to mountains.
- Cons:Relatively lack of diversity, expensive.
- In a nutshell:A wonderful place to visit, live, and raise your family; if you can afford it!
- See All Stay Active!
- See All International (Asian) Food Store
- See All Chill Bar right next to University of...
- See All European Style Pizza
Written Dec 18, 2004
University of Denver (DU) - GSIS
Written Sep 21, 2004
University of Denver
tejanasueca's Related Pages
Denver Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Queen City of the Plains"
- "Denver: The Mile High City"
- "A Path to the West Over one Big Mountain Range"
- "Denver, Colorado --- The Mile High City"
- "Urbane Mecca of the Rocky Mountains"
- "Denver, Colorado"
- "Denver the beautiful (or at least friendly)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Denver
- Hotels in Denver
- Transportation in Denver
- Nightlife in Denver
- Restaurants in Denver
- Shopping in Denver
- Warnings and Dangers in Denver
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Denver
- 33 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Denver?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Denver
Photos in DenverSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denver Intro, 33 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 34 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colorado Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Provincia de Pichincha Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Copacabana Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Cayambe Intro, 16 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denton Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sweden Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Provincia de Mendoza Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hacienda Picalquí Intro, 22 photos, 3 travelogues