"Södertälje - My Home Town" Södertälje by tejanasueca
Södertälje Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 20 photos
My hometown of Södertälje is the 20th largest town in Sweden with a population of roughly 80.000. The town is situated about 30min driving distance southwest of Stockholm.
The town of Södertälje is very old. The area was first mentioned in writings from 829AD, which would make it older than Stockholm (which is "only" about 750years old...)Therefore, its inhabitants are very quick to point out to you that Södertälje is NOT a suburb to Stockholm, but it is its own town (maybe Stockholm is the suburb?)
Södertälje Canal is the main transportation route for ships entering Lake Mälaren from the Baltic Sea (the locks in Stockholm are not large enough to accommodate cargo ships). Therefore, water is the dominant team in Södertälje. Essentially, the canal splits the town into two (each side has its own zipcode). The downtown shopping area is right in the middle, and hence, water is very prominent in downtown Södertälje.
Södertälje is as an industrial town, as it is the home of the truck producer SCANIA and the huge pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca.
Södertälje is an industrial town which 30 years ago was in need of labor, and hence many immigrants came there in the 1970s. Today, they, their kids, and their grandkids constitute a major proportion of the population in Södertälje. The largest immigrant group in Södertälje are the Finns. However, there are also many immigrants from the Middle East. Most of them are Christians who came to Sweden in order to practice their religion in peace. As a matter of fact; it is the largest concentration of people with Middle Eastern decsent in all of Scandinavia.
People are often surprised to hear how diverse my hometown is, and I partly credit this diversity with my understanding and interest of different cultures.
- Pros:Beauty, diversity, family oriented....
- Cons:Well...it´s no metropolis...
- In a nutshell:Perfect for families with small kids...
There are many small parks around town. One of the bigger ones, located just a few minutes walking distance from the... more travel advice
Nothing personifies my hometown more than its leading soccer team Assyriska. The name Assyriska is taken from the name... more travel advice
tejanasueca's Related Pages
Södertälje Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Södertälje - My Home Town"
- "Off Flygbussen a Stop Early"
- "Södertälje City"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Södertälje
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Södertälje?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Södertälje
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denver Intro, 33 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 34 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colorado Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Provincia de Pichincha Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Copacabana Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Cayambe Intro, 16 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denton Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sweden Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Provincia de Mendoza Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hacienda Picalquí Intro, 22 photos, 3 travelogues