"Otavalo Indigenous Market" Otavalo by tejanasueca
Otavalo Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 407 photos
The indigenous market in Otavalo, which is held every Saturday, is a must do when visiting Ecuador.
Otavalo is convinietly located only approx. 2hrs north of the capital Quito. Due to the markets popularity however, it can also be somewhat of a "tourist trap." Therefore, it is recommended to travel to the town already Friday afternoon so that you can get a more authentic experience by visiting the market before the Saturday morning bus loads of tourists arrive (around 9am). This will also give you a chance to go to the animal market (6am), which is the prime location for the indigenous population to sell and trade their animals.
- Pros:Good prices and still somewhat of a cultural experience
- Cons:Somewhat of a commercialized tourist trap
- In a nutshell:A convinient experience of indigenous culture and good place to buy souvenirs
The patio is well-managed with nice chairs and hammocks for those who are so inclined. There is also a large table and... more travel advice
The animal market is every Saturday before the regular market, i.e. really early (6-7am). However, it is worth getting... more travel advice
tejanasueca's Related Pages
Otavalo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saturday Market in Otavalo"
- "To market, to market ..."
- "Market day in Otavalo"
- "Otavalo Indigenous Market"
- "Otavalo Market"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Otavalo
- Hotels in Otavalo
- Transportation in Otavalo
- Restaurants in Otavalo
- Shopping in Otavalo
- Warnings and Dangers in Otavalo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Otavalo
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Otavalo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Otavalo
Photos in OtavaloSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denver Intro, 33 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 34 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colorado Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Provincia de Pichincha Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Copacabana Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Cayambe Intro, 16 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denton Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sweden Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Provincia de Mendoza Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hacienda Picalquí Intro, 22 photos, 3 travelogues