"How di body?" Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Leone by kim83_50158

Sierra Leone Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 178 photos

Salone

I had the incredible (life-changing) oppurtunity to visit and work in Sierra Leone early this year. It was a mission trip in all senses of the word--we did all kinds of stuff!

We had two doctors, two nurses--1 of which is a head nursing tutor, 3 college students, 1 professional construction guy. There were 9 of us total. Since 3 of the members lived in Sierra Leone before the war broke out, the rest of us got a bit more of an insider's view than most. Hopefully I'll put pictures up really soon!! I have a lot of pictures!

Special parts of the country...

In Sierra Leone, we drove upcountry to a small village named Mattru, in the Jong district on the Jong River. While it's not a really big village, it's very spread out, a bit more "developed" compared to the surrounding villages. That is where we stayed for most of the trip. We made day trips to Bonthe and Bo and also spent a few days in Freetown before and after Mattru.

Sierra Leone is the poorest country in the world and described by the UN as "the worst place in the world to live". There is incredible poverty in this country, and the war definitely did not help in the state of the country. There is evidence of probably every global relief agency that possibly exists in Sierra Leone. There are groups helping with agricultural, health, and rebuilding efforts. I was part of mostly a medical mission. So, I have many many pictures of malnourished children since there is a special refeeding clinic at the Mattru Hospital. See Mattru for more pictures.

• Pros:The People (oh, and the gorgeous land and beaches/ocean)
  • Cons:A little less infrastructure ....but good
  • In a nutshell:A wonderful place to visit!
  • Last visit to Sierra Leone: Jan 2003
  • Intro Updated Dec 3, 2005

• May 7, 2008 at 3:10 AM

you remind me of my stay when the war between the RUF and the government was at the peak. I was there in 1999 and 2000. even babies were not spared being chopped off their limbs

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2007 at 4:29 AM

Many captivating pictures of Sierra Leone.

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2007 at 5:24 AM

Thanks for Sierra Leone nice photos. I live there as a child.

• nsbm's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2006 at 10:21 AM

great pages..did you work witht he orphans?

• LuisGuimaraes's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2006 at 6:10 AM

fantastic experience..

• Superhans's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2006 at 11:26 AM

Im seriously considering visting this part of the world. I want to visit Senegal & Mali but now i think i also want to vist Sierra Leone...... Thanks.

• Wafro's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2005 at 7:55 AM

I appreciate you’re your work, respect. Greetz from Belgium

• sswagner's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2005 at 2:10 AM

It looked like you had an amazing experience over there. That is very noble to want to go to an unknown land and to help children. Happy travels!

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2003 at 12:17 PM

Very interesting! Excellent page! All these malnourished children!!

kim83_50158 Used To Live Here!

kim83_50158

“...to the uttermost ends of the earth!!”

Badges & Stats in Sierra Leone

Have you been to Sierra Leone?

Latest Activity in Sierra Leone