"How di body?" Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Leone by kim83_50158
Sierra Leone Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 178 photos
I had the incredible (life-changing) oppurtunity to visit and work in Sierra Leone early this year. It was a mission trip in all senses of the word--we did all kinds of stuff!
We had two doctors, two nurses--1 of which is a head nursing tutor, 3 college students, 1 professional construction guy. There were 9 of us total. Since 3 of the members lived in Sierra Leone before the war broke out, the rest of us got a bit more of an insider's view than most. Hopefully I'll put pictures up really soon!! I have a lot of pictures!
In Sierra Leone, we drove upcountry to a small village named Mattru, in the Jong district on the Jong River. While it's not a really big village, it's very spread out, a bit more "developed" compared to the surrounding villages. That is where we stayed for most of the trip. We made day trips to Bonthe and Bo and also spent a few days in Freetown before and after Mattru.
Sierra Leone is the poorest country in the world and described by the UN as "the worst place in the world to live". There is incredible poverty in this country, and the war definitely did not help in the state of the country. There is evidence of probably every global relief agency that possibly exists in Sierra Leone. There are groups helping with agricultural, health, and rebuilding efforts. I was part of mostly a medical mission. So, I have many many pictures of malnourished children since there is a special refeeding clinic at the Mattru Hospital. See Mattru for more pictures.
- Pros:The People (oh, and the gorgeous land and beaches/ocean)
- Cons:A little less infrastructure ....but good
- In a nutshell:A wonderful place to visit!
The white vehicle is actually the Mattru Hospital Vehicle. The point of view is from ours in the "poda poda" (a 16... more travel advice
There are different types of market in the country, but keep in mind if you need to buy something you'll have to go... more travel advice
kim83_50158's Related Pages
Sierra Leone Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ekahau's new Sierra Leone Page"
- "How di body?"
- "Craig's Sierra Leone Page"
- "Sierra Leone"
- ""A diamond in the rough""
- "Sierra Leone"
- "Sierra Leone-Land of Hope"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sierra Leone
- Hotels in Sierra Leone
- Transportation in Sierra Leone
- Nightlife in Sierra Leone
- Restaurants in Sierra Leone
- Shopping in Sierra Leone
- Warnings and Dangers in Sierra Leone
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sierra Leone
- 12 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Sierra Leone?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sierra Leone
Top 10 Pages
- Germany Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bolivia Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Leone Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ames Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Freetown Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chicago Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Orleans Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue