Ames Off The Beaten Path Tips by kim83_50158
Ames Off The Beaten Path: 1 reviews and 1 photos
Rice Krispie Bar--Ames
Veishea is the largest (and longest running, I do believe) student-run festival on college campuses across the campus. It first started so that the different colleges within Iowa state could show others what was happening within the college, like research, etc. (like a giant open house) Since then it has grown and become a showcase for the entire university--colleges, departments, student groups, alumni, etc etc. Alumni and their families traditionally come back every year, so Ames is packed with people for the big parade on the last weekend. It usually lasts a week, with activities and food on central campus for students and staff during the day and then activities throughout the week. Ames is quite the happening place during Veishea. This year (2005) it was cancelled, due to a riot the last night of last year's Veishea celebration. It was a pretty big deal in the ISU and Ames community, so it was cancelled this year, in order to make longer-term plans and considerations. It will happen again next year (sadly this is my senior year, and no Veishea). That's the long and the short of it. Oh there's a parade, booths all over campus, Open houses, food vendors, cherry pies (yummy) and LOTS of other stuff....:-)
The picture (while I need to replace it, but not now) is from Veishea 2001 when they made a HUGE rice krispy treat--largest in the world, in fact, in honor of the creator of the rice krispy treat--an alum of Iowa State!
More Reviews (6)
kim83_50158's Related Pages
Ames Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "James in Ames"
- "Burgfresh's new Ames Page"
- "Iowa Cemeterys"
- "d_marquis's Ames Page: Best Pizza in the World!"
- "OrdWhite's new Ames Page"
- "Ames Is a Good Place To Live"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Philipsburg Hotels
- Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Hotels
- Wellington Region Hotels
- Distrito de Lisboa
- Hashimoto Hotels
- Wineries and Vineyards
- Malta Off The Beaten Path
- Rhode Island Off The Beaten Path
- Bath Off The Beaten Path
- Pensacola Off The Beaten Path
- Portimão Off The Beaten Path
- Laguna Beach Off The Beaten Path
- Siena Off The Beaten Path
- Banjul Off The Beaten Path
- Cuernavaca Off The Beaten Path
- Tahiti Off The Beaten Path
- Cuenca Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Ames
- 7 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Ames?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ames
Photos in AmesSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Germany Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bolivia Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Leone Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ames Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Freetown Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chicago Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Orleans Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (23)
Latest Ames hotel reviews
- Heartland Inn Ames
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013