"Montserrat nice!" Top 5 Page for this destination Montserrat by andriane5
Montserrat Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 150 photos
The only way to get to Montserrat at present is from Antigua. There is a passenger ferry from St Johns which leaves twice dailly. Also there is a helecopter service although this is usually booked up, also it has a weight limit so if you have a lot of luggage you cannot get on!
Taxis meet the ferries and are resonably priced. Buses are mini buses which you just flag down at the side of the road, they are very cheap and the drivers will usually take you wherever you want to go.
As you probably already know, Montserrat changed forever during the mid 1990's when a volcano sprang in to life. The old capital city of Plymouth was burried with ash and was entirely evacuated. People who had lived in the south of the island were forced to relocate to the very undeveloped north. To this day Plymouth lies in a exclusion zone.
Scientists have been living on the island since the initial eruption, the locals are very knowledgable about the volcano and express their opinions loudly about how the crisis has been managed. The volcano provides much interest for visitors, there is the opportunity to visit the Volcanic observatory and be given a guided tour by a top scientist. There are excellent vantage points to view the deserted town of Plymouth. It is not possible to get too close to the volcano at it is still active!
- Pros:interesting, different, friendly people, great scenary
- Cons:no night life, limited accommodation options
- In a nutshell:A Caribbean Island with a difference.
andriane5's Related Pages
Montserrat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Montserrat - The Emerald Island"
- "Montserrat nice!"
- "marko727's new Montserrat Page"
- "David_Palmat's new Montserrat Page"
- "Montserrat: The Volcanic Isle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montserrat
- Hotels in Montserrat
- Transportation in Montserrat
- Restaurants in Montserrat
- Shopping in Montserrat
- Warnings and Dangers in Montserrat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Montserrat
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Montserrat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montserrat
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Livigno 5 reviews, 1 photo
- London Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Ireland 3 reviews
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montserrat Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Lochgair 1 review
No friends yet.