"The Nature Island of the Caribbean" Dominica by BROOKS
Dominica Travel Guide: 275 reviews and 733 photos
THIS PAGE IS DEDICATED IN LOVING MEMORY OF MRS. CAROL "YOLANDA/TONI" HYPOLITE-NORRIS APRIL 28, 1970-MARCH 1, 2006
Dominica is truly the gem of the Caribbean also dubbed the "Nature Island of the Caribbean." It's not exactly easy to get there; you will possibly need to take several connecting flights. Once there, however, it will all be worth it.
It's quite majestic and wonderful, and more importantly my "2nd family" resides there. One could say that it's almost like going back in time that day in 1492 when Christopher Columbus landed there.
The first to live on this unspoiled, scenic, and green isle were the Carib Indians. There are approxmately 3,000 people that are direct descendants or pure Caribs (approx. 300 are considered pure and only on Dominica and no other islands). Many of them live on the Northern Carib Reserve. The rest of the population of 75,000 are of African descent with some traces of European ancestry. The French and British battled for many years for the control of Dominica. They weren't totally successful due to the mountainous and obscure natural landscape.
There are many nature sites including Trafalgar Falls, breathtaking Boeri Lake, the Boiling Lake, and the Northern Carib Indian Reserve. If you are a nature lover and looking for true adventure this is definitely the place for you. Some of the excursions will require you to be physically in shape. The trek to the BOILING LAKE takes 8 hours round-trip for instance. It can only be executed with a registered travel guide ONLY!!! If you're looking for big nightlife, world renowned shops, and restaurants this isn't the place to do that. Dominica is duty free. There is a 10% governmental supplement tax now on restaurants and hotels. There are certain nights around Roseau where live bands, karaoke, and "Happy Hour" takes place. Try it, it will be memorable.
One more note, The Commonwealth of DOMINICA is a CARICOM country and is a part of the British Commonwealth gaining full independence from England in 1978. Other CARICOM countries include: Antigua and Barbuda, St. Vincent, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and Nevis, Anguilla, and Grenada. This is so not to be confused with the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. That is a whole DIFFERENT NATION on the island of Hispanola bordering Haiti. Dominica lies between 2 French overseas departments Guadeloupe to the north and Martinique to the south.
All photos copyright (c) Brooks Dorian Brummel
- Pros:You've never seen anything like it
- Cons:Driving is on the left, roads aren't real great
- In a nutshell:Like going back in time 100's of years; non commerical
At Calibishie Lodges, you will find the most wonderful hosts that will help set the tone for another fantastic vacation... more travel advice
2.69 Eatern Caribbean Dollar = 1 USD Can purchase/exchange at airport, banks, local shops, and hotels throughout... more travel advice
- Dance, Dance, Dance
- See All Wireless and internet connection
- See All Packing List
- See All Dominica Botanical...
BROOKS's Related Pages
Dominica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Green Island"
- "Dominica-the nature island"
- "Steve's Dominica page"
- "Martin_S.'s Dominica"
- "Dominica: 1000 shades of green"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dominica
- Hotels in Dominica
- Transportation in Dominica
- Nightlife in Dominica
- Restaurants in Dominica
- Shopping in Dominica
- Warnings and Dangers in Dominica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dominica
- 27 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Dominica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dominica
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: postcard VT meeting Karlsruhe"
- updated a Dominica Travel Page "The Nature Island of the Caribbean"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Nature Island of the Caribbean"
- Wrote a Review Dance, Dance, Dance in Dominica Nightlife
- Commented on one of SunnyIsle's Dominica travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Dominica Intro, 27 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sint Maarten Intro, 15 reviews, 21 photos, 5 travelogues
- Aurora Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Aruba Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barbados Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Guadeloupe Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Anguilla Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint Kitts and Nevis Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos