"Valletta - Malta's Capital City" Valletta by Elly01
Valletta Travel Guide: 701 reviews and 1,822 photos
The Maltese Islands consist of Malta (being the largest island), Gozo, and Comino. The capital city of Malta is Valletta. Valletta is a very busy place during the night as there are many offices, restaurants, bars and shops. However, at night it is much quieter! Valletta is surrounded by these thick large walls called bastions. These where built by Order of St.John to protect the inhabitants from the enemies. As soon as you enter the beginning of Valletta one can see this huge fountain which consists of three tritons. This is where one can catch public transport in order to get anywhere in Malta.
As you can see Valletta is made up of long straight vertical and horizontal roads that cut across eachother.
Valletta and the three cities are surrounded by these thick large walls called bastions. These where built by Order of St.John to protect the inhabitants from the enemies. These walls are very hard to climb up and when the enemy did try to climb up - buckets of boiling oil would be thrown down the bastions !
Today the bastions stand there decorating over lovely island and are only used as homes for little sparrows and pigeons to build their nests in :-)
An example of the bastions can be seen here in the photo !
From Sliema right across the sea one can see Valletta and the affect of the lights at night is very spectacular.
- Pros:You find many shops close to eachother !
- Cons:Too many people concentrated in one area !
- In a nutshell:However after 8.00 the latest the city is dead !
Take a ferry from Valletta seafront down passed Old Bakey Street down to the seafront - you will see the blue ferry. I... more travel advice
Elly01's Related Pages
Valletta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Valletta - The Fortified City"
- "Fortified Valletta - Malta's Capital"
- "Small but beautiful."
- "ANCIENT VALLETTA"
- "Valletta - Malta's Capital City"
- "Valletta - The capital city of Malta"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Valletta
- Hotels in Valletta
- Transportation in Valletta
- Nightlife in Valletta
- Restaurants in Valletta
- Shopping in Valletta
- Warnings and Dangers in Valletta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Valletta
- 34 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Valletta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Valletta
- updated a Valletta Travel Page "Valletta - Malta's Capital City"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Beautiful Valletta"
- Wrote a Review Ferry from valletta to Sliema seafront about Boats & ferries in Valletta Transportation
- Posted in Travel Malta Forum "Re: language"
- Commented on one of Alphons's Valletta travel pages
Photos in VallettaSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Malta Intro, 58 reviews, 117 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Julian's Intro, 82 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sliema Intro, 51 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 34 reviews, 62 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rabat Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gozo Intro, 10 reviews, 51 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Comino Island Intro, 6 reviews, 40 photos, 5 travelogues
- Marsaxlokk Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vittoriosa Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Birzebbuga Intro, 1 review, 28 photos, 3 travelogues