"Under construction" lizilex's Profile
Places I have lived...
Malibu, California - the first 18 years. Malibu was very different then!
Palo Alto, California - the college years. College really *is* wasted on the young!
Los Angeles, California - the ghastly summer jobs.
Vienna, Austria - the junior year abroad. Great travels.
Seattle, Washington - the adult years (well, reasonably adult).
Deer Harbor, Washington - the *mature* adult years.
Tucson, Arizona - escaping the Washington winters!
I was a year old the first time I flew - back to a tiny town in rural Michigan to visit my paternal grandfather. My father was a school teacher, so we travelled summers starting with road trips from California to Michigan. In those days before air conditioning, we’d leave Malibu at midnight and my parents would drive all night to get through the desert before the heat of the day. After my grandfather died, we traipsed up and down the West Coast.
My first international trip was to Baja California when I was about ten. I immediately fell in love with Mexico -- the people, the colors, the smells, the language, the food. I still love Mexico.
In my early teens my father took a sabbatical and we went to Europe for fifteen months. I was sure my life was ruined because I would miss ninth grade. I got over that fast as soon as we got to Europe. We visited every country in Western Europe, plus quite a few in Eastern Europe, as well as Morocco and Turkey. We were in Athens the day of the military coup; confined to hotel for days. On the return trip, I visited New York City and Canada for the first time. I feel very fortunate to have had this life-changing experience.
Your basic suburban high school was a bit of an adjustment, to put it mildly! The following summer was the mandatory “looking at colleges” trip. Saw the rest of the United States: Texas, the South, the East Coast and New England. Favorites: New Orleans, New York, New England. I’ve now been to every state in the United States except Florida and Hawaii.
Graduated from high school in 1970 and that summer saw British Columbia and Alaska for the first time. Still two of my favorite places in the world.
Spent my junior year of college in Vienna. Travelled a lot weekends and breaks. Mostly to Italy, but also Hungary, Romania, Germany and Switzerland.
The first Christmas after I graduated, I spent a month in Mexico. Mexico City, Oaxaca, Tehauntepec, and the Yucatan. Returned with my husband several times in the 1980’s and saw Guadalajara, the colonial silver cities, Michoacan, Zihuatanejo.
We’ve also made several trips to Europe and road trips through the US. We’re looking forward to another road trip this fall.
Now that we have a dog again, we are doing mostly North American travels. Trips I hope to make in the future include:
The Queen Charlotte Islands (British Columbia)
Drive up through the Yukon to Alaska, take the Alaska Ferry back down.
Trans-Canada driving trip back a different route, either through Canada or the US, or a combination
Bryce, Zion, and Arches National Parks - this one I hope to do this year.
Personal Pages (1)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 56 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 1 Countries
- 17 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- lizilex and Marcinha are now friends.
- Posted in Travel Alamosa Forum "Restaurant for lunch in Alamosa?"
- Commented on Gaspar&Floppy's profile page
- Wrote a Review Under Construction in Malibu Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Under Construction"
- updated a Dillon Travel Page "Under Construction, please check back"
updated their Profile Page "Under construction"
Top 10 Pages
- Orcas Island Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Santa Barbara 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Tucson 7 reviews, 2 photos
- Seward Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Anchorage 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Seattle 6 reviews
- Palo Alto Intro, 4 reviews, 2 photos
- Missoula 4 reviews, 1 photo
- San Francisco 1 review, 3 photos
- Malibu 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22467 Reviews - 54994 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7926 Photos
- Berlin Hotels
- 6983 Reviews - 15645 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23319 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2027 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5858 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26762 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos